The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Big event on saturday, need advice. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Ã…land, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Hello, I have been asked to entertain the tables during a christmasparty on saturday. The woman asking me happened to be at the first gig I ever did. about 6 weeks ago, that was a private birthday party. She thought I was very professional and thought I had been doing this for quite some time. She also found out how much I was paid, which was 105 euros for about 35 minutes of walking from table to table. She asked me to send her an email tomorrow about how much I want for this party. The party is for the city employees and there will be almost 500 people sitting at about 40 tables. They want me their for 2 hours and I have no idea how much to ask for. She said she understood that I have to consider what type of client I have, how many people, what kind of work, how long it should be etc. any advice?

Then, when doing shows or walkaround magic etc, I am not sure if you need a permit or something? Like a private company, keeping records of everything and pay taxes or how does this work? Would be great if someone from Finland could reply here.

Thanks a lot, would really appreciate your help.

Kim
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I can't be of much help with a job in Finland, but 40 tables is not something I could do in 2 hours.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Ã…land, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
She is not expecting me to do that either. I will email her and ask her if she prefers that I really entertain each table or go through as many tables as possible. How do you put a price on something like this?

Kim
AntonZ
View Profile
New user
Canton, GA
52 Posts

Profile of AntonZ
Kim,

First of all a huge congrats to you for making that first job happen and then being so good that someone wants to hire you again. Really it is a feather in your cap.

Here's my counseling for someone new to this business.

If it were me, I would contact her and explain that you are so happy and eager to work with her on this event. Because there are so many more people to entertain you would like to add to her evening by doing two things.

1. Ask her to allow you to do about 10-15 minutes of entertainment for the whole audience followed by your walk-around to as many tables as you can get to in the allotted time.

What you have just done is to raise the stakes for her and for you. You have offered her "Added-Value"

2. Take a deep breath and know that you are really good at this and deserve as large a paycheck as you dare to ask for. If it were me and I knew that she knew I had received 105 Euro for a brief show at a party I would ask for at least four times that amount.

One of two things will happen. She will agree or she will say I cannot afford that amount. No problem. Then please tell me what your budget can afford?

No matter what she comes back with you say something like this. OK I can do that AND is there some other way we can make up the difference? Will you have a videographer or Photographer on hand. I can always use a new promo video or new promo shots? If the video/photo doesn't work then ask her to introduce you to others at the event who might hire you for a different engagement.

People want to help entertainers succeed. They love to be associated with us and to tell others that they were of help to you. It's one of those many perks that we are fortunate to have come our way.

The point is that you maintain the respect for the amount that you ask for and still get the job.

At this stage, the paycheck needs to be secondary and getting more experience is KEY.

And what a thrill you'll get when she says yes to the amount you asked for. Now here's Christmas present for you and anyone else who reads my reply.

From this moment on whenever anyone sees you work and then asks if you are available for another date you add some amount to the paycheck you received that night. Maybe it's only $50-$100 bucks. The amazing thing is that in just a short time you will reach a number that will be far beyond what you nay have the nerves to ask for as a beginner. I swear this works. I lived it and in about 6 months time I went from $150 for my second job at that rate to $750... my first job was for $75 and I thought I was steeling... lol.

Good fortune to you Kim and again congrats on such a great start.
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Ã…land, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Thanks a lot for your reply! Even if I actually had the nerves to entertain the entire audience at once, as I have bit of stagefright, I don't kind of tricks to do so they can follow it. I mean, the ACR is perhaps not the best of tricks. I will take your advice into consideration and try to make up my mind about a couple of things based on it.

Please keep the advice coming.

Kim
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Contact MVMagic.. He MIGHT be able to help with a price... he is in Finland.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
MagicKim,

In the states it is common for the magician to charge by the hour for strolling magic.
The price ranges on the performer...... Ask some of your local entertainer friends for pricing...
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Great advice Anton!
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Ã…land, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Thanks for your replies. Curtis, I live on a small island, I am the only one I know doing this...

Kim
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Hmm...
If you are the only one price in demand factor will have a role in your price....
Charge what makes you happy and within the clients budget....
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi MagicKim -

This thread, from the "Table hoppers and party strollers" area of the Café, might be of help to you, concerning the idea of fees:

- Magic Café thread titled... Rates Faq, Version 1.0

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Great advice Anton!
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Big event on saturday, need advice. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL