The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Invisible string (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I am new to magic and am considering getting some invisible thread...

I was wondering what type you would suggest, as well as suggestions in general - I plan on closeup work, and would like it to be as "invisible" as possible.

Also - just how "invisible" is this thread? If I do a trick infront of someone, is it noticeable, or do I need to be a dozen or so feet away?

Thanks all, and apologies upfront for the "newbie" type question.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
You could write a whole book on this subject. There are different grades of invisible thread - I have some that I can't see three feet away. But it's difficult to work with (because you can't see it!). Other threads can be seen if the light hits them right, or if you're up against a certain back-drop.

My advice - get a thread boss or some type of reel (I have a pen reel, which is excellent, but expensive) and start practicing. The only way to know is to do it.
The spider pen is also an excellent device for the "beginner".

Jim
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Then there is the elastic invisible thread and the non-elastic. Some prefer the elastic because it doesn't seem to break as easy because it stretches. Others like the non-elastic.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
What about best places to buy? Im new this, so Im not sure where is a good source online.
Mark Reed
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Google "magic invisible thread" and you'll have about a days worth of stuff to read and digest.

Jim
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Easy to master thread miracles DVD's 1-3 by Michael Ammar is an excellect source of invisible thread information. Everything you ever want to know is in these DVD's.
bmworldtour
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bmworldtour
Go to your local fabric shop or sewing supply store - ask for a spool of black wooly nylon and then strip individual strands off.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 15:59, bmworldtour wrote:
Go to your local fabric shop or sewing supply store - ask for a spool of black wooly nylon and then strip individual strands off.

I have tried that and the strands seem to be very obvious even in a dimmer light.

Are these nylong threads close to what magicians invisible thread would be? If so, I don't want to spend the money on it. If the invisi thread gives a better appearance, then I would.

The black wooly nylon seemed to stick out and be spotted to easy with close up work.
Almost as if it were reflecting light off the strand.

are the magicians brands more dull or matte to hide the light?
Mark Reed
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Invisible thread and special ligth for that.

Paulo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Invisible string (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL