The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Beginner question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
What is the purpose of billet reading? I know this may sound like a stupid question. Let me elaborate, I was reading Practical Mental Magic and the first chapter is on billet reading and I'm thinking to myself "What is the purpose of this? Is it to reveal information? Is it to reveal a question?" Anyway, I'd be thankful to anyone who would help me. Thank you in advance!

E.B. Nicholson
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Cosmopop1 - It's to gain information. Although If you learn a few switches anything is really possible. ElliotB has a brilliant book called switchcraft that would be perfect for someone getting into billets. I have to admit Billets are something that I have neglected for a long time untill I bought his book a few weeks ago. Imagine taking 5 esp cards, putting them face up, looking at the spectator for a moment then writing something on a card, folding it up and placing it on the table. They then select any card, push it forward. You can then show your prediction to be correct. This is just one of the things that is possible with billets..

Hope this helps

Mescalito

p.s buy the book, it's a steal.
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
dylan magic
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of dylan magic
Ditto, switchcraft is fantatstic and elliot is a nice guy,!! buy it. worth every penny.
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1246 Posts

Profile of splice
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 10:40, cosmopop1 wrote:
What is the purpose of billet reading? I know this may sound like a stupid question. Let me elaborate, I was reading Practical Mental Magic [...]

Then keep reading. There are applications of billet reading in the first 20 pages. There really should be no need to ask, just read the book.
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Thank all of you people for your help!

E.B. Nicholson
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Reminds me of the time I first heard of a device that sits on your thumb that you can secretly write with. I wondered, "Now what good is that?" Smile

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
mindsynced
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of mindsynced
Switchcraft is fantastic. I use business card billets all the time.
Keith Brown
Entertainer, Speaker and Author
"Exceeding YOUR Entertaiment Expectations"
www.keithbrownentertainment.com

"Making Magical Memories~Teaching Biblical Truth"
www.keithbrown.org
Castle2369
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston, MA
207 Posts

Profile of Castle2369
I agree Elliott J. Bresler's Switchcraft Book is a marvelous comprehensive works for any performer either mentalist or magician alike looking to utilize billets.

-Erick
Creator of the Gallerian Bend
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thanks Mescalito, Dylan, Keith and Erick!!!

I really appreciate your kind recommendations.

E.B. – I remember skipping the billet chapter when I first read Practical Mental Magic. It was called something like, “Effects with Billets and Pellets.” I thought, “How antiquated!” and immediately turned to the section on card tricks. Times sure have changed for me!! By the way, last year I predicted that you will buy my book. When you do, you’ll see how psychic I truly am. Knowing the future, I named several techniques after you.

Elliott
Gabor
View Profile
Veteran user
Pécel, Hungary
367 Posts

Profile of Gabor
I used to stop reading explanations beginning "You switch the billet..." until I purchased Switchcraft. Since then my way of thinking has changed. Everything is possible with switches. Switchcraft is highly recommended.
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
What more can be said. Bressler's brilliant when it comes to billets and his book is terrific. To add to the answer to your question cosmopop1, think about this. You borrow a dollar bill and then with your audience assistant looking at it, you are somehow are able to call off the Serial Number of the bill. Telepathy at its best, So, it is not always just about gaining information. I strongly urge you to get Bressler's book, work with it and then devise a miracle. Good Luck and I hope this helped. Best, Lee
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
spinki
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of spinki
Also : one recommendation for switchcraft
Its good - very good
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thanks Gabor, Lee and spinki!!

I was wondering why I sold several copies today.

Now I know Smile

Thanks so much for the recommendations.

Elliott
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Switchcraft, Switchcraft, Switchcraft....

And if you have any time left, Alan Zingg's Master Billet Course DVD's.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thanks gabelson!!

Zingg’s work is one of my top recommendations. Another favorite is Barrie Richardson’s wonderful "Act Two."
spinki
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of spinki
Yes, alan zinggs course is good.- and turn of the background music ;-)
Its good to see billet work in motion- I like that more than only to read.
Zingg : high recommendation!
kindly
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Well, I'll look into getting Switchcraft. It sounds really really really good for a beginner. Thank you all for helping me and answering my question. Thanks again.

E.B. Nicholson

P.S. Mr. Bressler, I bet that has nothing to do with your initials!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Beginner question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL