The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » X-mas Ghost Stories (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Quote:
On 2007-12-17 17:19, Bill Ligon wrote:
I think you are right, Kotah. The unconscious mind has its own agenda. It brings us up short during the "joys of Yultide," and tells us, "Not so fast, fella. You have to face your sins first!" Or else it is the Elder Gods objecting to the celebrations.

Bill
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Quote:
On 2007-12-17 15:16, KOTAH wrote:
I think, but have no proof of it; my two cents; ghosts are connected to the specter of guilt/ sins. They haunt us during the conflicting joys of Yuletide.
They surface in our thoughts and dreams; mixing with bouts of depression. Bah humbug indeed!

I don't know how I missed the 2 posts from Bill and Kotah a year ago, but they deserve a lot of thought. I once asked a monastic friend by the name of Brother Digby (no kidding) if he "believed" in ghosts, specters, return visits from the departed. His answer was, in brief, that something as powerful as the human conscience cannot be supressed forever, and when it finally claws its way back to the consciousness, it can take surprising forms.
Thanks Bill and Kotah, all the Best for the holidays to all!
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Some outstanding ideas and input! Thank you one and all for sharing the skeletons in your Christmas closets.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Myrsolon
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Myrsolon
Interesting information on the tree of life; in Jewish folklore it's a common story that the staff of Moses was taken from the Tree of Life. Also neat is how frequently those stories parallel stories about the caduceus; both have a similar root. So, somewhere back there the tree of life was explored in the Mediterranean and Iran (the branch even makes a brief appearance in Gilgamesh as the "Plant of Heartbeat") Lots of neat materials

As for the subconscious trying to balance the "joy of the season." I don't agree, if you think about it, it's the joy of the season attempting to combat the darkness of winter. During the yuletide season the nights get long and traditionally agricultural communities have very little to do, leaving lots and lots of idle time in the dark; winter storytelling traditions in the form of ghost stories make lots of sense in my opinion given my understanding of history.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2008-12-08 01:34, Myrsolon wrote:
Interesting information on the tree of life; in Jewish folklore it's a common story that the staff of Moses was taken from the Tree of Life. Also neat is how frequently those stories parallel stories about the caduceus; both have a similar root. So, somewhere back there the tree of life was explored in the Mediterranean and Iran (the branch even makes a brief appearance in Gilgamesh as the "Plant of Heartbeat") Lots of neat materials

What about a wand made from Yggdrasil...
Myrsolon
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Myrsolon
Quote:
On 2008-12-08 02:52, The Curator wrote:

What about a wand made from Yggdrasil...

I'm not as up on my Northern Mythology as I'd like...but I could hazard a guess or two. Yggdrasil is the world tree, it also connects all worlds. It feeds from three pools, so a wand made from a branch of Yggdrasil would be capable of possessing one more more powers related to the powers of the wells, and possibly allow for travel between worlds (time travel, elves, various gods, ect...)

So there's the well of wisdom, well of fates, and the source of many rivers.

Anyway...back to topic...scary stories are awesome for xmas.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
The World Tree appears is shamanic lore as well, and is surprisingly widespread. In many places the shamanic journey involves an actual climbing (or descent) of a tree, pole, ladder, or the like.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2008-12-08 08:30, Myrsolon wrote:

A wand made from the wood of the first X-mas tree ?
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
Quote:

Here's one I just posted on the Shadow Digest. Not exactly a ghost story but spooky:

Santa’s Little Secret.

Santa Claus was almost finished. He had travelled several times around the world, delivering his gifts to the many millions of children who inhabit the Earth.
He smiled as he thought about the children. They it was who sustained him through the night. He drew strength from each and every child whom he visited. It was a special strength that enabled him to begin his preparations for the next year immediately after each Christmas.
This year was no different, and now he was nearly done. He placed the toys into the pillowcase at the foot of the bed. Then he quietly moved to look at the child, innocently sleeping.
He gently uncovered the little boy’s head, leaned over and sank his teeth into the soft neck, drank his fill of blood, then refreshed, re-adjusted the bedding, rose up the chimney and flew away......

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
Myrsolon
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Myrsolon
Heh, cute. One of my favorite contemporary Christmas Ghost Stories is "Lost Boys" by Orson Scott Card. Easiest way to find it is to read it in Maps in a Mirror: The Short Fiction of Orson Scott Card
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2008-12-08 12:15, Leslie Melville wrote:
Quote:

Here's one I just posted on the Shadow Digest. Not exactly a ghost story but spooky:

Santa’s Little Secret.

Santa Claus was almost finished. He had travelled several times around the world, delivering his gifts to the many millions of children who inhabit the Earth.
He smiled as he thought about the children. They it was who sustained him through the night. He drew strength from each and every child whom he visited. It was a special strength that enabled him to begin his preparations for the next year immediately after each Christmas.
This year was no different, and now he was nearly done. He placed the toys into the pillowcase at the foot of the bed. Then he quietly moved to look at the child, innocently sleeping.
He gently uncovered the little boy’s head, leaned over and sank his teeth into the soft neck, drank his fill of blood, then refreshed, re-adjusted the bedding, rose up the chimney and flew away......

Leslie

That may work with a red foulard zombie routine. Is it yours?
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
Quote:
On 2008-12-09 09:33, JAlenS wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-12-08 12:15, Leslie Melville wrote:
Quote:

Santa’s Little Secret.

Leslie

That may work with a red foulard zombie routine. Is it yours?

Yes it's a story I wrote in 2004. But feel free to interpret the tale. I like the red covered Zombie idea!

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
The Dark Woods of New England
793 Posts

Profile of Matthew St. Cyr
You could also use the "Vampire Detector" effect to see if "boys & girls" in the audience have been visited by Santa.....
The Wonder Lies In The Dark Between The Stars. . .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » X-mas Ghost Stories (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL