The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jumbo Rising Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
I am looking for a review/comparison on the Hathaway jumbo card rise that sells for $195 as compared to the Nemo Jumbo Rising Cards that goes for $395 in the Steven's catalog. Interested in how well they play and the difficulty to perform.

Thanks and have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
I'd go with neither and tru to get the Contento Rising Cards which can be operated remotely.

David
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1610 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
Yes if you can get the Contento Rising cards they are by far the best.

Ron
rexgetz
View Profile
New user
Manhattan, Ks.
84 Posts

Profile of rexgetz
The absolute best are Ron Wilson's electronic jumbo rising cards as no external remote is needed. Ask Pete Biro what he thinks of these.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I've had them both, in fact, I think I bought one from Pete Biro and, in my opinion, the Wilson does not compare with the Contento. Yes, there is a remote, but there is no need to "time" your routine. I found the timing settings on the Wilson (and I have had TWO of them,) to be inconsistent. I purchased one way back in the 70's from Martin Breese and it was what I think the Wilson was intended to be. You could bank on the timing. If it took 7 seconds between the first and second rise, it would consistently be that way each and every time. But, unfortuntately, that one, and the Wilson, is just about impossible to find now.

Marcello's uses a remote, but you need only push the button a second and the card will make its full travel. There is no need to hold the button down during the entire rise. And, you can stop the rise short of the full height if you wish, plus, of course, Contento's also goes in reverse, pulling the card back down. It is a great climax to have the wrong card rise for the final card. So, you command it to go back down and for the correct one to rise and that is exactly what happens.

Now, despite what some have said on this thread, if I really wanted to perform and FOOL an audience, I would go with the Nemo. But, that one takes serious rehearsal and the method is prhaps the most basic principle of any card rising method in existence, just extremely well applied.

I have performed the Nemo on many occasions, years ago. It plays. But, in my "golden years" I've gotten LAZY, big time, so now only use a Contento.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Thanks for all of the great advice. Where can I find the Contento version and what should I expect to pay?

Thanks again and have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Just to throw in my few cents, the one Martin Breese used to sell was the Anverdi version. The cheapest jumbo version was probably the Arne version which was similar to the Devano method. The Nemo was used by many professionals, and I can only assume the high price from Stevens is to do with the dollar exchange rate. It always looked good but electronic is probably the way to go these days if you're paying top dollar.

Paul.
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1610 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
The Contento, if you can find one will vary in price. I have seen prices from $400-$600.00. I would never sell mine. It is a masterpiece.

Ron
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Cost no object, if you can find one, a Jon Martin clockwork deck. bulletproof. I hate electronics. The ones I used to make and Kaps used, was ELECTRIC (no electonics, just a motor, bateery and a clever way to turn it on and off without a remote, a switch or any thing. Gravity.

If you do cabret type shows and can SELL FUNNY the NEMO IS KING.

I have a jumbo Devano made by the late Howard Bamman, but it doesn' allow the fun the nemo does.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
The Nemo Rising Cards available for sale now is the re-released version, part of the re-release of the Ken Brooke material by Paul Stone in the UK.

I have one of the original Nemo Rising Card sets I got as part of an estate, it's unused. I've compared it to the pictures from the re-release, it looks like the re-release is a terrific job.

However, I don't do the type of cabaret shows Pete mentions above, so if anyone's interested in a like-new copy of the Nemo, PM me.
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
I work with Joe Stevens of Stevens Magic, and am preparing to put up a video of the Nemo Jumbo Rising Cards on the product pages of their web site. Right now it is on YouTube, and if you would like to see (a younger) Paul Daniels doing a marvelous routine with this, go to this link below:

Bob Phillips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlAcU56AZnQ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jumbo Rising Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL