The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Fly Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I purchased this effect from Aldo Colombini when he was in town for a lecture. I like the routine overall, but it just isn't getting the reactions I had hoped for or expected. I was wondering if anyone else was also having issues.

Specifically, the ending should, imo, be a funny and strong moment, but I'm just not getting a strong reaction. I've tried all ages and can't find a sweet spot.

This is close to going into the junk drawer, which saddens me. Thoughts anyone?
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I had no problems with it when I used it working in the restaurant for family groups with kids. I used to present it in a conspiritorial manner, whispering,"I shouldn't really show you this, the manager doesn't like me mentioning what happened in the summer" and rather than rooms talk about the four corners of the restaurant. Maybe you were doing it too fast? I'd give it another go pointing up each phase.

Of course, it could be that the material simply doesn't suit your personality.

Paul.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Fly Cards sounds like it should get laughs even without patter.. hmmm .. I might get this, since I really like Aldo's thinking..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
I have added just a few thigns to this as well for presentation. First thing was I added a mouth buzzer/squeaker that is normally used to mock a fly buzzing around. I don't know a more technical term for this little plastic tube. When it is time for the Flys to move... I make the buzzing noise!! Also, at each phase, I get a little more anxious and excited about what is happening. Don't be afraid to repeat the motions for the last phase.... One went with two, two went with three, so three must be with FOUR......BAM!!!

Another thing that I have done is to print out different fly pictures that are a little more humorous. The cards I have from Aldo are sort of realistic and I think this takes away from the playful nature. Also, name the flys. I use Bob, Bob, Bob, and Fred... It is just fun. A couple fun pics below...

Cheers,

Justin
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Good ideas guys. I don't want to say that people aren't reacting at all, its just not as strong as I expected, especially at the end. (this trick got a great reaction at our local ring meeting when Aldo did it in his lecture).

Another question for those who are doing this - what age do you find likes it best?

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 2:16pm
I have been given the opinion by more than one respectable magician that this trick suffers from too many Elmsley counts. (There are 5 of them in succession).

So...I may be coming around to the idea that the weakness in this trick is that the Elmsley Count is not a natural way to count cards and should be used sparingly, but Fly Cards uses it over and over, and while the heat is on. What do you guys think?

Again, hate to say it, but this is not looking like a "worker" for me and is probably headed for the junk drawer with about thirty other packet tricks.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2008-01-05 14:16, bsears wrote:
I have been given the opinion by more than one respectable magician that this trick suffers from too many Elmsley counts. (There are 5 of them in succession).

So...I may be coming around to the idea that the weakness in this trick is that the Elmsley Count is not a natural way to count cards and should be used sparingly, but Fly Cards uses it over and over, and while the heat is on. What do you guys think?

Again, hate to say it, but this is not looking like a "worker" for me and is probably headed for the junk drawer with about thirty other packet tricks.

Personally, I think that a well-executed Elmsley Count should not cause "heat" when performing for laypeople. You are merely counting/showing the cards. I'm not familiar with this particular routine, so maybe the more germaine question is whether or not there is a logical reason that you are repeatedly counting through the cards. If you are showing that something has changed each time, then it makes sense. If you are required to do extra "fiddling" with the cards without any apparent reason, then I would consider that a weakness in the routine.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Bob - good point. I actually like and use the elmsly in other routines. But for this trick, its done too much for my taste and really forms the backbone of the routine, making it suspect.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I have never found excessive Elmsley Counts to be a problem in most card tricks. In fact, my effect released through Aldo, "Twists and Turns" uses four consecutive Elmsley Counts. But because of the nature of what happens, I've never had anyone question them and have received nothing but great reactions with the effect. In fact, out of all the tricks that I've come up with, it's one of my wife's favorites. And she hates card tricks! Smile

Having said that, you've got me intrigued about Fly Cards. I might have to check it out.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I wonder if the climax was in any way inspired by Dick Koornwinder's "The Great Benjamin."
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Update: I worked with a friend on this routine and he suggested I hone the acting a bit for the ending. Specifically, he felt I needed to endear the audience more to the flies and work on my shock when they end up squashed.

This seems to have made a big difference. The last few times I've done the routine, the reaction to the ending has been excellent. I'm going keep working with it.
magringo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sad that all I have is a scant
326 Posts

Profile of magringo
I have FLY and love it...love it... love it. and so do audiences. I only wish I could get a new packet of cards because they're getting old and warn. Aldo says they're no longer being made...sad. Anyone know if any shops still have 'em?
magringo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sad that all I have is a scant
326 Posts

Profile of magringo
For those still inteested in buying "Fly" ... hocus-pocus has some left... I'm going to buy another pack as my original cards get worn out.
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Quote:
On 2012-05-17 06:11, magringo wrote:
I have FLY and love it...love it... love it. and so do audiences. I only wish I could get a new packet of cards because they're getting old and warn. Aldo says they're no longer being made...sad. Anyone know if any shops still have 'em?

I believe they've been re-issued by Meir Yedid Magic. I have no problems finding extra sets. Great effect for me!
http://www.mymagic.com/colombini.htm
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Fly Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL