The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Houdini/Doyle Paradox (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I'm noticing something interesting about us bizzarists that I'm wondering about. It just occured to me and I probably should think about this a bit more. Could be just me. . .

Anyway, there seems to be two groups here. Those who are skeptics (rather Houdini like)who might want to believe in some of the ideas we use in our routines, and those who want to follow the ideas further to find out how real they can be (Doyle like, I think).

Has anyone else noticed this. I don't know which camp I'd find myself in - probably leaning more toward the latter.

Hmmm. . .curious. . .what do you think? Smile
Mark
What would Wavy do?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hi Mark,

You may be having some introspection on a much deeper twentieth century zietghiest issue.

The turning point for functional intellectuals was accepting Freud's idea that the consious mind floats like an raft on a sea of unconsious mental activity. The current expression of this idea is 'emergent systems'.

Yes, the world views of magic versus conspiracy are entertaining distractions. So far it seems nature is more surprising than either interpretation.

-So, is Middle Earth some time in the far past or perhaps in the future? No fossil record of elves or hobbits... Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
JonTown

I prefer to think maybe it exists right now.
;)

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Mark--

Exactly!!!!
Hence my first post a while ago about who really believes. I am both though. Anybody ever read The Final Seance about their (Houdini and Doyle's) relationship?

I agree there are the groups. Isn't it fun though?

Ellen
harryandersonfan.com
New Orleans or I Bust 2003! Smile
lyndonwebb
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of lyndonwebb
Well, if there are two camps, why not a third? So I belong to this third. I believe everything that I do for a participant (I don't call them spectators anymore, they are closer than that!) is real, for if I cannot convince myself of what I am doing, then how will I convince any one else?
Anyway, just my thoughts. Smile
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Okay, so a third camp then. Smile

Mark
What would Wavy do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Houdini/Doyle Paradox (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL