The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Advice for a newbie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Hello,
I am currently working a a routine for next Christmas (I thought I'd get a head start on it). I want to do a rope routine with a theme of problems Santa runs into while trying to get the reindeer ready to go. For those of you who might know it, I was planning on useing a modified version of the rope routine on David Stone's Real Secrets of magic Vol. 1. However, I am at a loss of where to begin to write the patter. I haven't been doing magic all that long (one year and one month), and a lot of what I have done has been silent.

Does anyone think they could give me some advice on writing a semi-funny story line patter?

Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas!
Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Danton,

Here's a link that may give you a start: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=106&6

Check out some of the other threads in the "The Words We Use' section for more ideas. Good luck.

Regards, Steve
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Thanks Steve,
I guess I should go write down my ideas, which I have neglected to do until now. =)

Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Not to take away from the above effect with ropes, but if you could put in the professors nightmare it can leave you open for a lot of ideas. Like one of the rain dear chewed the ropes and now they are too short, with some Christmas dust you can restore them. Get my drift?
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Thanks Aceofharts, Great idea.

Danton
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I agree with Profs. Nightmare and might would consider a self tying knot. (Would come in handy when rushing from house to house.)

My suggestion would be to think of the effects that fit into an act that you can put together. Then put yourself into Santa's shoes... I mean boots, and then write your storyline from that perspective.
I could see disappearing milk and cookies with bites removed. Possibly gift boxes that are shown empty, then full.
I would try to explain how the things that Santa does would be impossible without magic and then demonstrate the magic.

Good luck. Sounds like a nice project.

Peace,
Parson

Addendum: My weird thinking led me to quadro-vicious circles and then to linking ropes. Maybe a kid wants some magic props and this was the best that Santa could do.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Do not try to be funny. Just tell the story and let any humor happen organically.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Advice for a newbie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL