The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Pure Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
adrian333
View Profile
New user
London - UK
53 Posts

Profile of adrian333
Yes it is true that the book doesn't reveal the exact methods of the tricks you'd probably want to know - but it certainly paves the way for you to become an excellent magician, and give you enough knowledge to really spark you off so you can start making you'r own magic. Definitely get a hold of Absolute Magic, and the Devils Picturebook video is a must too - I really feel that anyone wanting to buy these books should see him on TV or for real first, to get a feel for his style..

Adrian.
Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
Very good book, dissapointed that it had so much card work in but hes ideas and insights are good enough.
Whats also intresting is in the re-printed copy i have he has removed 2 effects, any one know what they were or why he did it.
Mabe they were a little to close to revealing what he does.

Alex
The Man Who Knows (how to make a good cup of Tea)

Mentalism -
Philosophy. the doctrine that mind is the fundamental reality and that objects of knowledge exist only as aspects of the subject's consciounes.
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi Alex
The two missing effects are called "Lift" and "Reminisense" which are both performed but not explained on the International Magic video.
Dave

P.S. I two have the third edition and I must admit I was dissapointed that those two effects had been omited from this edition.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
A great book from a great mind.

It's also one of the few magic books I've ever thought could be read just for the pleasure of reading, since DB is - among other things - a very talented writer. PE has also got to be one of the best-ever debuts in magical publishing.

(And I'm not saying any of this becoz I'm mentioned in the back.)
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Missing effects in Absolute magic and Pure Effect? Is Derren playing with our minds I wonder?

You ever really really really wanted something...just because you can't have it?

Smile
Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
Does any one know how I can get hold of "Absolute Magic", I have been looking but not very hard, any advice would be nice, pehaps a review if any one has it.

thanks,
Alex

Mentalism -
Philosophy. the doctrine that mind is the fundamental reality and that objects of knowledge exist only as aspects of the subject's consciounes.
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
Alexander - After his show in Croydon on Sunday night I had the honour of *very* briefly meeting and talking to the man himself. He is an incredibly down-to-earth everyday guy off-stage, cracking jokes with the people waiting to get their programmes and tickets (in some cases books) signed, and genuineley interested in hearing what people had to say about the show. His parents (who were attending the stage show for the first time) and brother were also there chatting to the crowd.

As he signed my copies of "Pure Effect" (3rd edition) and "Absolute Magic" he asked what I thought about them and I said that my act was twice as good after reading them, though that's not saying much. Smile (Best I could manage under the circumstances.)

He also said that "Absolute" will be reprinted in a new edition with a longer print run by a magic book publisher over the next few months. So instead of spending a fortune on eBay, I'd recommend reading the easily available and reasonably-priced "Magic and Showmanship" by Henning Nelms, and then getting the new affordable edition of "Absolute Magic" when it appears.

The Nelms book is a solid, nuts-and-bolts, step-by-step textbook to the practice of developing an engaging show with strong presentation. Brown's "Absolute Magic" is a good companion book to it, different in style in that its strength lies mostly in its numerous "flashes of inspiration", wonderful passages with insights which get the reader's mind thinking creatively about the "back-story" to his act. Essentially, it enables the magician to move the focus of the show from his own fingers to the audience's heart. (Now *that's* a line I wish I'd thought up on the spot when meeting the author....)
Hypnotist and mentalist.
Websites: www.corporatemedservices.co.uk
www.doctoromni.com
Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
Thank you very much Dr Omni, I will keep your advice in mind.
I am also going to see the show, on the 7th in Dartford. I was podering if I should take the book (or just the dust cover) to be signed, and from what you've said I think I will. May even see if I can have a bit of a chat too, but i doubt it.
Thanks again,
Alex

Mentalism -
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
Alex - My pleasure. It was a bit of a fluke having the chance to actually meet him - however briefly - after the Croydon show, because - as it says on his official website - he usually has to rush off from the theatre to travel overnight to the next town where he's booked to perform. Presumably, because Croydon is his home town and he was meeting up with the family, he was able to spare audience members a bit of time. To be frank, it's not a good idea to try and engage any performer in some deep discussion of the philosophy of magic when he's just walked off stage after a two-hours show and is surrounded by a huge crowd of people trying to get stuff signed, have their photos taken with him and (in the case of female fans) kissing him.

(I was more than happy with a few moments' chat, shaking his hand and his signing the two books.)
Hypnotist and mentalist.
Websites: www.corporatemedservices.co.uk
www.doctoromni.com
Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
Ok, once again thank you for your advice, I may take the book, you never know.
I think the one Im going to is the last in his tour, but im not sure. And I agree haveing a long indepth chat would be a bad idea, I never had that in my mind.
I will just have to see.
Thanks again,
Alex

Mentalism -
Craig Chamberlain
View Profile
New user
Michigan, USA
49 Posts

Profile of Craig Chamberlain
H & R Magic Books will be reprinting Derren Brown's "Absolute Magic." Richard Hatch said it will be available in late June or early July at a price of US $40.00.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Just finished reading this book. It has gotten some harsh reviews on the Café. IMO it is a great book. Very very good for presentational tips and some excellent effects. The effects aren't as foolproof as you would like but if you are successful, I can imagine the reaction. highly recommended book. only disadvantage...@ $40, this book was too small.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Pure Effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL