The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Agathon
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Agathon
Hi Witch, you will be pleasantly surprised that Vol. 2 is NOT more of the same. Pete gives you templates for different things such a character, plot and effect etc., and essays that demonstrate those templates. It, in my opinion a must have.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Oh, don't get me wrong, "more of the same" is exactly what I want. I look forward to the essays most. The templates are a cool bonus but probably not something I'm going to use a lot as I already have a system in place for my character and script development. Vol 2 is next on the list after my current jaunt through Jamy's thoughts.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
My review of the Scripting Magic Deluxe Two Volume set appears in the March issue of Genii.

Tom Frame
MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased the Scripting Magic books from Vanishing Inc. Magic.

Does anyone already have a style, or can recommend an add-on, for writing scripts in Google Docs per the format recommended by Pete McCabe? I think I could do it myself in Word (so probably Google Docs with some work) but if somebody has it already, that would be helpful.

So far I have looked at Screenplay Formatter in G Suite, but the comments are that it needs hot keys, so that dropped on my list (hot keys are the main reason I'm looking for an established document). I have also looked at Fountainize but it seems buggy and apparently can require a subscription. When all I want is the two styles outlined by Pete McCabe, that seems a bit steep.

I've tried doing searches here and online but haven't found anything that seems correct. I'm obviously new to writing in this style so I might be missing something.

Thanks,
MC
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
You might want to look into Scrivener.

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/overview

Reasonably priced and very solid. I personally don't use it for scripts because I don't write in that form, but it is used extensively by many for novel writing and scriptwriting, and storyboarding.

It's probably more powerful than you need, but it's so inexpensive (<$50) that it's worth it. You can download a free trial at the link above to see if it suits you.

If you are just looking for an add-on, in Word you go to New from Template, and then in the search bar put Screenplay.
MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
Thank you so much! I was looking for something for Google Docs but I’ve heard a ton of good things about Scrivener, so I’ll definitely check that out.

Thank you so much!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL