The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Exotic wood source online? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi,

I'm looking for an exotic wood source online that could provide finished boards 12" x 14", 15/32" or 1/2" thick. Maybe walnut, perhaps, or something better.

Any recommendations?

TIA
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
You might try Rockler.com. They sent me a catalog once and I remember seeing lot's of exotic woods. I am not sure if they have the sizes you will nedd though, but it might be worth checking. I have ordered from them and their service is top notch.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Rockler is good, as is Woodcraft. Woodcraft has a store here locally, so I check their wood supply frequently. While they do have some pre-dimensioned exotics, I can't recall seeing the sizes you mention.

Ebay is another option, although you should contact the sellers to inquire about your special requests.

Knowing the differences in quality I've seen in woods while standing their looking at them, I'd be hesitant to buy online. Considering what you pay per board foot, even for rough-sawn wood, I'd rather hand pick my stock.

There are also millwork places around the country. You may want to go on a regional search in your area.

We have one here in Birmingham, Miller Specialty Wood Products but they don't have a website. Their hardwood selection is very good, though.

I have also been to and bought from Pekin Lumber in central Illinois. Outstanding selection and a huge warehouse of stock on hand.

Since they both are also a millworks business, specializing in doors and hardwood mouldings respectively, you may be able to contract them to dimension the boards you need, but I would not have any idea about the quantities you'd have to buy, or shipping policies.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I agree with Michael. Wood has so much variety in it that you really have to see it to make sure you are getting what you want.

You also want to be careful when buying wood. There can often be small cracks or knots that may or may not have an effect on your project.

12 inch widths can be hard to find in some woods. The width often needs to be made up by gluing up narrower boards. This may require some machining and you will want to match the grain, or perhaps you will choose contrasting grain.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Most online sources are not going to dimension your boards for you. You would probably be better off to contact a cabinet shop in your area and see if they can supply what you need. Also, if there is a Woodcraft or Rockler Woodworking shop in your area, they might have contacts there (hobbyists are often eager to take on small projects, while professional shops usually prefer not to bother as there is little profit in smaller jobs). Good luck -

Bill
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
If you are looking for high-quality you might want to try Stewart-MacDonald. Stew-Mac is mostly for luthiers and their wood might be more expensive, but it might be an option if you want the best. Again, I have not ordered wood from them, but I am a guitarist and a Stew-Mac customer. Their service is great!

Regan
Mister Mystery
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Gilmerwood.com has some awesme wood, though I don't know if they would dimension it for you
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Thanks for all of your suggestions,

Jimmy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Exotic wood source online? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL