The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My struggles with Card College (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
I think Card College explained all the sleight very well, not to mention the position of fingers (although you may have to slightly adjust to fit yourself), the timing, misdirection aspect, etc.
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2008-01-07 10:29, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I've been thinking about this for a few days, and I think that it is in general false. I was listening to my daughter practicing the piano, and I realized that there is no way in the world she could live up to Ammar's ideal. The reason is simple: she is doing something far to difficult to practice "correctly" from the beginning. The ONLY way she can learn a new and difficult piece is to start where she is, work as nearly as she can to correctly, then slowly (with the help of a teacher, to be sure)improve the piece bit by bit. It is not a simple or a quick process. She must practice the piece incorrectly at first, othewise she could not practice at all.

A more experienced musician can self-correct, even on new and unfamiliar pieces.

Something like this must be true of magic as well. Difficult sleights cannot be practiced "perfectly" at first. You have to get them wrong, look at what is wrong, examine yourself in a mirror or on video and make corrections. A more experienced magician will certainly help.

I think the essential point Ammar was making is contained in his words, "Before the first practice takes place, you must know what you are doing, and why you are doing it that way."

This doesn't mean, as I understand it, that each practice session has to be technically perfect from the outset. No. But what Ammar seems to require, and I think you will agree with him, is that before starting out you must at least have an understanding of what a perfect execution of the given sleight looks like (even if you yourself aren't anywhere near that level yet).

So when learning a new sleight, be sure to read the description thoroughly, know what is required, visualise what it should look like, watch a video of the move being performed well etc. That way you'll at least know what you are trying to achieve. If you have an understanding of what it should look like, you'll be able to spot (and correct) your mistakes when they occur. That leads to perfect practice.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My struggles with Card College (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL