The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Triiiiiiiiiiiiiick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Quote:
On 2008-01-03 19:24, AlexSem wrote:
Are you trying to entertain or convince them you have special powers?

Which is it?

If you think you have to lie to be entertaining (to convince them it's not a trick), you are going down the wrong path. The path of a professional liar, not a professional entertainer

Actually, I'm trying to convince "them" (through magic, metaphor & story telling) that "they" have more power and ability than they let on . . . fair enough? Smile

-J
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
I never say tick, I say Experiment or Hey I would like to try something here I think will freak you out. Never do I say can I perform a trick for you. For me this is not trick or treat it’s all TREAT!!!
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
The issues are motive and self definition. The actor who tries to convince the audience that he is a murderer during the performance of a play is not trying to convince them that he is a murderer in real life who happens to be performing pretend murders on stage. Many mentalists execute ethical gymnastics so they can have their cake and eat it too. Truth has boundaries that we cross to our own detriment. We end up lying to ourselves.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Mental Dave,
I wouldn't worry too much over this, but if it is coming from a majority of your audiences, you may want to take a harder look at how you are presnting your blindfold routine. You may be presenting it in such a way that it is raising those "trick" red flags. Also, if someone sees you somewhere performing magic and somewhere else performing mental feats, don't be too sutrprised if they peg you as being a magician regardless of how you see yourself.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Because many people will perceive what we do as tricks, I have no problem adding a couple of mentalism effects into a magic show. However, I do not add magic tricks to my mentalism shows.

I, also, do not mind if people refer to them as tricks because that is their point of reference.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
AlexSem
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of AlexSem
Quote:
On 2008-01-03 19:31, TT2 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-03 19:24, AlexSem wrote:
Are you trying to entertain or convince them you have special powers?

Which is it?

If you think you have to lie to be entertaining (to convince them it's not a trick), you are going down the wrong path. The path of a professional liar, not a professional entertainer

Actually, I'm trying to convince "them" (through magic, metaphor & story telling) that "they" have more power and ability than they let on . . . fair enough? Smile

-J

That is indeed VERY fair if done right and what mentalism should mostly be about in my humble opinion Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
By the way - the words "Simulation" "Re-creation" "Theatrical" can be used instead of trick and convey similar concepts without the negative stigmatic elements (rightly or wrongly) that word has inherited....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Triiiiiiiiiiiiiick? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL