The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » After "13 Steps" and "Practical Mental Magic"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Athos
View Profile
Elite user
NADO - Mind reader
481 Posts

Profile of Athos
Thanks mesmer! I have Maximum Entertainment I probably readed it more then twice with a notebook handy. I feel that the mentalism part is short in the book, I might consider buying strong magic by Darwin Ortiz, I heard that there was theory for mentalists.

The problem is where to start? I have small contacts to perform in bars, but I'm 17, I might be off path, but if I try to do mentalism with drunk people... Some effects are easy to understand and they are straightforwards. Much of my effect require audience participation, and some effect need to be well understood EX: I use a stacked deck. So if they don't do as I want...

It's a nice challenge, and probably a way to start, I had good offers in term of money too.

I want to go at the City house and give my name, if they ever do any event that would need an entertainer, they would have my name. I'm also trying to be as much versatile as I can, close-up... stage... walkaround etc.

I'm almost done writing my show, and my dream would be to loan a theater here at quebec and do a show.

Thanks for your help! You put me in hype to perform for money!
~Athos
NADO
«How much of a gift it would be to really know what someone is thinking of?»
- Steeve Blanchet, news anchor, TVA
«Here is someone that truly uses his powers for good.»
- David Meclomesnil, weekend radio.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
I know some people will laugh at this advice, but I'll offer it nonetheless. In addition to the wise insights offered above, I will add this small piece...

We often receive tons of information from books about "character" and performance style, but rarely does anyone offer any tangible way to increase "rapport" techniques; which in my opinion is one of the most important tools of the mentalist. Rationale: If they like you, they will like what you do (with the assumption that you have actually put in the work necessary).

My advice:
Smile at every "barrista" at Starbucks. Ask what kind of day the person behind the counter at McDonalds is having. Say hello to people you don't know. Stretch yourself to learn how to make very normal conversations out of very "abnormal situations". In others words, practice making others feel good (and important) on an everyday basis. This "practice technique" is extremely helpful to be able to "win over" people and crouds at your performances.

As many have stated in print (Eugene Burger, for one) YOU are the show. Get to the performance early and turn it on. At a recent engagement, I arrived early and spoke with a few charming ladies and pulled the sheriff aside, saying "You'll be perfect for something I'd like to do later. Do you mind helping?". I told him "If they won't believe an officer of the law, they won't believe anyone". Immediately he smiled and we were off to a good start. I made a friend of one of the most respected persons there; not a bad ally! Smile

My point is, daily actions of "personal" skills will bleed over into your performances and help you will the approval of your audiences. More importantly, they will BE FREE to enjoy it, because they like you and do not feel threatened by the potentially "frightening" ability you have. Speaking with genuine kindness will also help you to truly value others and add meaning to your life.

I hope you are having a great day Smile

Sean
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Amen to that Sean.....People Skill must be Sharpen so its Sharp enough to poke the Audience in the guts....Agree...the Show is "YOU"....so what's in it for them from Watching "YOU"............Hmmmmmmmm....something to think about....
Celloboy
View Profile
Special user
London, England
534 Posts

Profile of Celloboy
I have never had a problem performing for drunks. With a quick wit, a cheeky smile, and a goth dress sense they seem to love it! lol. Think Noel Fielding meets chan canasta. lol
Pete
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Mind, Myth and Magick

Strange Ceremonies
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Quote:
On 2008-01-05 00:14, ALEXANDRE wrote:
“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream.”

- Paulo Coelho

You are an Alchemist, ALEXANDRE

DT3
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
I would get everything by Banachek.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
As suggested above from someone who beat me to the punch, read Mind, Myth and Magic by T.A. Waters. There is enough material in that one book to last you 25 performing lifetimes.

Realistically, you already have all you need to sculpt a very powerful mentalism arsenal. I think a great deal of time is spent looking for the "Latest and Greatest" when the greatest really is in the works of the past.

Find those gems, and make them your OWN. If your looking for inspiration for story based effects and themes, you might want to take a gander at Pantalogy by R. Shane. That book is basically geared towards Bizarre magic, but it has some nice themes that can be adapted to mentalism. Better yet, to serve as a catalyst for you to create your own story based routines.

S
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
Skulduggery by Luke Jermay is an excellent DVD.
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Athos, there are other books out there too. But I think it is time for you to watch DVDs. Richard Osterlind's "Easy To Master Mental Miracles" and Banachek's "PSI Series" are excellent DVDs to start with. The DVDs will show you more dealing with how to perform besides showing more effects. You will learn different methods of presenting the effects. I'm not telling you to copy their performances. Use your own personality so will feel as much comfortable as the audience. Be yourself.
Athos
View Profile
Elite user
NADO - Mind reader
481 Posts

Profile of Athos
Hehe you brougth back an old thread,
I am up and running now!

thanks for all your kind comments and advices as well as Floyd Collins help!
Max.
NADO
«How much of a gift it would be to really know what someone is thinking of?»
- Steeve Blanchet, news anchor, TVA
«Here is someone that truly uses his powers for good.»
- David Meclomesnil, weekend radio.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Check Final Curtain by Borodin for some other material you may find effective.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
I would second the Water's recommnedation (M,M,M)and to really get an education in the bizarre read The Compleat Invocation ... not so much for effects, though, there are some great ideas in there, but for the rich gothic texture and strong characterizations (You did say you liked bizarre magick).

Oscar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » After "13 Steps" and "Practical Mental Magic"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL