The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Not right for birthdays? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2008-01-10 00:57, MagicSanta wrote:
Ed, you've been around and over the years, on line, you've always been a bit uptight, I won't give the reason I think that is. You may be happier doing work for older kids who may sit down better for you or....shudder....Gospel shows where the kids are expected and made to behave better.

That's exactly what he said in posing this question - gotta give him credit for that. Frankly, my very first impression upon reading the original post was "How refreshing! A magician who says 'maybe kidshows aren't a good fit for me' instead of 'how can I get the little devils to behave?'"

If we all could bring ourselves to use this approach in addressing a lot of issues that bother us, we'd be a lot happier.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ed is a bit stiff and that is the same trait that leads him, wisely, to question it. From what I've picked up he expects children to behave themselves and it rubs him the wrong way when they do not. Ed also has a sincere love for magic and a desire to perform it and lets be honest, the venues are few in reality. He can do the kids shows if the kids behave, that leaves out parties because the kids have a rowdy frame of mind going already.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2008-01-10 13:12, MagicSanta wrote:
Ed is a bit stiff

Not quite sure how to take that, MS . . . Smile Smile

The stiffness has been because I really want to do things right, which is difficult when you feel you're not quite right just being there. Kind of like wanting to run the race well, but why is everyone else in sneakers and I'm in hiking boots?

Quote:
From what I've picked up he expects children to behave themselves and it rubs him the wrong way when they do not.

Not necessarily that. I have four of my own - two are out already and the other two are not far behind. I also did children's ministries for several years. I'm not unfamiliar with children being childish, which is immature and restless.

I also know that the smallest child will sit engaged and enthralled when watching something that really inerests them. I obviously don't. Much of that, I'm sure, is lack of experience and understanding how to perform for kids.

Some of that, though, is probably also personality. I was never rowdy, either as a kid or through my adult years. I prefer a book or the computer, and don't like large crowds of unfamiliar people.

So suddenly it dawns on me - why am I sticking myself in a crowd of rowdy kids and expecting to be able to entertain them? Especially young kids to whom everything is about fun and anything that gets a laugh is fair game. As Ross pointed out, I'm not worried about how to quiet them down. I'm thinking I'm not a good match for engaging them in this situation. And if I'm not relaxed and enjoying myself, how can I expect them to be fully engaged in what I'm presenting?

That leads me to thinking about school and library shows, which are generally a quieter type of venue. I'd also like to perform on the kid's stage at our county fair. Perhaps a "grandkids day" at the local assisted living complexes or over-55 resorts. I'm also thinking about the hospital. If I can get something like this going, more venues might open up.

I'd really just like a place I can fit in to perform. That doesn't means the kids have to be perfect angels, but it does mean I have to be relaxed enough to give them a good show. Otherwise, why am I there?

I appreciate all your thoughts and feedback on this.
Ed

(PS -
Quote:
you've always been a bit uptight, I won't give the reason I think that is.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts, Santa. Maybe you see something I don't. A fresh point of view is always noce to have.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ed, in the years I've had encounters with you you have always been to the extreme as far as religious goes. That is fine and wonderful, but you have also had questions similar to the one you placed here, being that you have a certain standard and expectation of behavior for children and it seemed to me that you were struggling with children who don't come to that standard, again exhibited by your initial post here. Now the choice is either you lower your standards and expectations or you don't put yourself into the position to be in such a frustrating position. You are not alone, there are many who don't do kids shows because they just don't like dealing with them as an audience. I kind of can relate because I go to a restaurant I'm often shocked by the way kids run around and make noise etc., that never went on when I was a kid and their were five of us! We behaved and I really don't understand how kids can't behave in a restaurant.

So what I was trying to say is you, as a deeply religious man, expect children to behave in a respectful manner, they don't, and I think it bothers you. You are a good magician but since the audience at kids birthdays are too much to handle but you want to work for kids then you should consider schools and churches where the authorities make the kids behave....got it?

And yes you do know me but don't worry about it.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Could we please (yes, I know it's amazing that it's actually me saying this) leave "christian" out of any further diagnoses of Ed's situation? He didn't bring the factor into the discussion, and I just don't see its relevance.

I'll bash the faithful with great vigor when they misbehave, but in this case it's got nothing to do with the issue.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
A couple things Ross, first I never used the word Christian, you did, and I believe only you did. Secondly I am not bashing Ed in any fashion, I've known Ed for a number of years and like him very much. I also know he is exactly as he said, not comfertable in the type of situation one finds themselves in when doing birthday shows. He is a fuddy duddy type guy, and that isn't bashing either, it is descriptive. Based on what Ed said my analysis is dead on accurate and you are making assumptions and are incorrect. Sorry about that, no one bats 1.000% I said it before and I'll say it again, I think Ed would do well in situations where the kids are controlled as in schools, Churches or other religious gatherings, or as he said library shows. In those situations there is less interation with the kids and he can still perform magic.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I posted to give air to what was in me as a person wanting to perform magic. I've been up and down and in and out over this for several years (as MagicSanta says he knows - maybe from MT??), and it's really getting time to either find something that works or fuggetabudit!!

Santa's perspective is pretty well on the mark, except it doesn't have much to do with religious upbringing as just an "old school" upbringing. There were six of us, and even in the "let kids find their way" mindset of the 60s and 70s, we were expected to live within certain rules or suffer the consequences. (Anyone who expects that behavior out of "church" kids merely because of a religious upbringing has never been part of a children's ministry or been a church-going parent of pre-teens!)

Fuddy-dud, nerd, bookworm, no fun - been called all of that. And by my own kids, too!! That's okay - some day they will be boring to their own children, and Grandpa will be fun! (My wife and I are planning our revenge involving lots of suger, noisy toys, and staying up late, and then giving them back to their parents.)

There are some kids whose idea of fun was to see if we can play catch with Mom's good vase without dropping it, draw funny pictures of Dad on his car seats with a Sharpie, have a contest to see who can get sent to the principal's office the most in one day, or drive through neighborhoods at 2am with the beat bumping to see how many lights come on in the houses.

I never liked that kind of fun. So I don't structure my shows to be that kind of entertainment package. There's nothing that pushes the limits. It's good clean easy fun - *if* you like this kind of fun. Silly Billy's Crystal Tube routine is great and fits me to a T. Some of his other stuff - like putting a Pampers on a kid's head - I would never do; it reminds me of some of the treatment I received as a kid.

So the ultimate question at the end of all this soul-searching is: is there a viable market for this kind of entertainer giving this kind of entertainment? I'd rather stay out of churches for my own personal reasons. But you think schools and libraries might be a good bet to start with?

Ed
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ed...I too watch kids today with horror. I think you'll do great, you know what you are doing magicwise and at least with libraries etc you'll be inside!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2008-01-12 11:36, Ed_Millis wrote:
So the ultimate question at the end of all this soul-searching is: is there a viable market for this kind of entertainer giving this kind of entertainment? I'd rather stay out of churches for my own personal reasons. But you think schools and libraries might be a good bet to start with?

Is there a viable market? Yes ... but not if you aren't comfortable with the audience that goes along with the market. You don't have to be a raucous and crude children's entertainer, but however you choose to perform you can't find an audience of children who don't want to let off a little steam. Yeah, maybe at libraries, MAYBE, but in general the whole idea is a bit like sending Isaac Stern to perform at a rowdy cowboy bar.

There is NO market where you'll find a guaranteed audience of "good kids who behave with reserve and respect."

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Not right for birthdays? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL