The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Technique Master by Ichiro Araki (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Actually after re-reading my last post, I don't think the tone seemed right to me, but of course an edit was out of the question since someone else in the universe had actually posted something somewhere (and I would have improved a typo).

When you read the entire thread, it seems a littly crazy that what started about a query about the Technique Master DVD (which may not actually contain any copied material since no-one has seen the full DVD to review it yet)should come to the point where Ben asks:
"If I downloaded your videos then released my own video, at a fraction of a cost, teaching YOUR work, would you be upset?"

I think maybe the question should be addressed to the actual individuals (plural) who have copied or pirated articles than to those that have had items pirated. Perhaps your attention should actually be on the piraters themselves or those that buy pirated items. I know Marty has had stuff ripped off too, years ago we discussed the possibility of putting out a magazine all about pirated items and the people that were pirating them, but never went any further with it.

Your options as you see them are just that, options as you see them. I see nothing wrong with 1 or 2 as viewpoints, don't think 3 is a good suggestable option, since you're only suggesting IF YOU LIKE IT to send money to the real source. And we all know that with very rare exceptions the downloadable crowd do not send money on (I think someone once did send money to Mike Close, and I applaud them for it). So basically option 3 suggests people become thieves but try and justify their actions by stealing from thieves or telling themselves that they are stealing from thieves.

Anyway, I really am done here as I see any intelligent part of the conversation as being truly over and all genuine points of interest/view being covered.

Paul.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Well,

We aren't going anywhere. It was interesting to hear your thoughts, and hopefully you feel the same way about mine. I wish you all the best,
Ben
P.S.
I was the guy who sent money to Mike Close, among others- I posted the whole story several months ago.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-27 11:42, BenTrain (Nordatrax) wrote:
Well,

We aren't going anywhere. It was interesting to hear your thoughts, and hopefully you feel the same way about mine. I wish you all the best,
Ben
P.S.
I was the guy who sent money to Mike Close, among others- I posted the whole story several months ago.

Ben, can you post a link. I'd be very interested in reading what you had to say.

Thanks!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I have NO idea where it was posted.

Basically, I came to a turning point-

I realized I couldn't in good conscious claim to love and respect magic and at the same time rip of artist's work. It's like saying you love and respect your mother, but stealing money from her purse.

So, I got rid of all copies, and sent money to artists who I had stolen from. Some people I still owe money too, and it will take me a long time to settle up. But I intended to settle up.

There is a lot more to the story, but I got banned (for a short period) for getting into it, because it of course means I admitted to stealing/copying. Interestingly enough though, it hasn't been deleted, so if someone does find the link feel free to post it.

All the best,
Ben
p.s.
No, I am not intending to be a righteous dick. I still do a LOT that g-d, and people, would frown upon. And some I'll fix (like not downloading Jay Sankey dvd's) and some I won't (like drinking in excess, and manslaughter).

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I guess I owe my Mother money.

THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
I do too.

My mother that is.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-28 02:04, THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) wrote:
I do too.

My mother that is.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought we both got trashed and robbed her.

THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
What?
wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
This thread has taken a bit of a silly route.
wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
Well time for that oh so important review I mentioned I was going to do earlier in this thread. First and foremost I'll say right off the bat I liked this DVD. GASP! Yeah I know its Magic Makers but I really did enjoy it.

As for the actual DVD itself we have the same lame intro from Rob Stiff thanking us for buying the DVD. Seriously we get it you like us buying your stuff but seriously enough is enough. After we have that fandabbytabulous intro we have another one that’s actually quite informative from Ben Salinas that tells us a little about Mr. Araki. Mr. Araki has been President of his IBM for the last 25 years with over 400 members and in charge of his own private magic club with over 500 members pretty neat eh? He’s published over 7 magic books mainly about card and coin magic. He is a well known actor and singer and has even taught the late great Larry Jennings. Well enough about the history of Mr. Araki lets go on to the magic.

Tricks
Geome-trick: I’ll admit I’m not a big coin worker like some of the magicians at the Café but I do understand it enough to appreciate it. This is actually a nice way to visually produce a coin. It looks similar to a way to produce a coin from Cultural Exchange volume 1 but the handling is just a little bit easier then the one on Cultural Exchange volume 1. 8/10

Silent Destiny: This is a three coin routine that only uses three coins. Two alike coins and one odd coin. This isn’t a bad routine just not to my liking as I’ve seen better and the handling just seem awkward. 5/10

Up-Down Coin: This would be Mr. Araki’s version of the coin thru hand effect. It’s nice simple and easy to do. All the proper moves are named. I actually looked just to make sure. 7/10

Instant Triumph: Now I know somebody made a comment about this looking like John Bannon's last man standing triumph that I don’t know for sure as I don’t know the exact working behind it so I do apologize for that one though I have seen people perform it and visually there are some similarities but that’s all I got and again apologize. It’s a pretty good in the hands triumph and have been practicing this for the last couple of weeks now. Though the funny thing is about the demo is he does one move at the very beginning which is I believe where people point out the similarities but as he goes to the explanation he recommends another move all together which is found on his other DVD very weird. As of right now I’ll give this effect 9/10 until I learn the handlings behind John Bannon’s Last Man Standing Triumph.

Spiral Cut: A flashy little flourish. Doesn’t really do much but fun to mess with. 7/10

Spiral Cut Control: Same thing as above but you are using it as a control this time around. Not bad but not exactly the most useful thing. 7/10

Floating Deck 2007: Seriously? A floating deck? For being one of the greatest card workers in the world a floating deck? Okay enough joking around I imagine your all thinking of that classic floating deck that I’ve seen Jay Sankey put on a couple of DVDs plus on that show he is on Spellz. Don’t worry its not. It’s actually a much nicer more convincing version of that effect. The classic floating deck you can only see head on with this version the deck is at more of an angle. Either way I have no idea why a floating deck seemed appealing to put on a DVD titled “Technique Master” but it shouldn’t have put on there. 4/10

Pyramid Production: A three packet production that turns into….you guessed it a Pyramid. The you produce the card in hand while holding the Pyramid. Probably the hardest trick on the DVD but well worth it.9/10

Teaching
The entire DVD consists of Mr. Araki doing the handling but with Ben Salinas doing the translating. And everything comes out very clear and easy to understand. So good job Ben!

Overall
It’s not a bad DVD and yes I know there is better available in the world of Japanese magic but for 22.50 at themagicwarehouse.com its not a bad price. Overall this DVD gets 7.5/10
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Is Ben Salinas dressed as a Geisha during the translations? If so, I may get the DVD.

wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
Haha! Your a funny man Chris you really are. Sadly no. Though he'd probably make a lovely Geisha.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
So content wise just 6 tricks and the spiral cut stuff?

Does the pyramid thing use an elastic band?

I had an idea for producing a selected card from a card pyramid after coming across an idea in Richard's Almanack in the eighties, but you did need a table top to do it.

Thanks for the review.

Paul.
wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
Nope no elastic band at all. Its all done entirely in your hands but when its done properly it looks absolutely killer. And yep only 6 six actual tricks plus the sprial cut stuff. No problem at all Paul. I'll be putting up one for his other DVD Card Master soon.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Does the left thumb produce the card so that when looking through the triangle you see the card (it "springs" into view)?

So, three coin tricks (one described as awkward), a false cut/control that "doesn't really do much"/isn't "exactly the most useful thing, a floating deck that doesn't quite cut it, and a triumph that isn't his (In fairness- I haven't seen the video, so this is pure speculation)? What makes this video better then I suspected it would be?

wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
Yes the thumb does produce the card Ben. As for what I meant about the false cut/control comments I made they were both incomplete thoughts on my behalf. I meant to say "Doesn’t really do much for me" and "exactly the most useful thing for me." And not to make excuses for Mr. Araki it seemed on this video he was having a bad session because on his other DVD Card Master he seemed more calm and with it. Or its even possible MM only did one take which wouldn't suprise me. And on a much lighter side note he's actually a pretty good singer.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Well, from the admittedly little info you've provided, the production sounds like the TV production, which I think was in the Trapdoor (I may have ALL the sources wrong...)

Maybe, just maybe, he didn't have a bad session. Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't very good?

wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
Mmmmm...no I'm going to go with probably a bad session. And what little info that I've provided are you speaking of? Whatever your looking for just ask and ye shall recieve my good man.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I apologize.

I didn't mean to infer that small amount of info I had was your fault. I simply meant based on the brief synopsis you provided, and my not seeing the dvd, that I didn't really have a ton to go on.

If you enjoyed it, that's all that mattered!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Technique Master by Ichiro Araki (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL