The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Why do coins come out by your elbows? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Gary Yin
View Profile
Elite user
Sabah, Malaysia
449 Posts

Profile of Gary Yin
It's one of the natural way to ditch a coin. This is one of the first tricks my friend showed me 5 years ago that made me into magic. The focus point is in the elbow rubbing, not the hand. It's natural to rub with the hand bent towards the head. Imagine rubbing it with a straight hand, not visual, and too robot.

I still love the Danny Archer's routine about having to go a surgery to put slots in his ears and elbow to compete the NY guys and produce 3 coins from the ears and from the right elbow from his empty hands. The structure is constructed well and goes along with the patter. Can be found in Coinvention DVD.

So I think patterwise, the surgery gag or serious is nice. Just don't go for a real surgery tho.
yrag89@hotmail.com (msn msgr)

Gary Justin Yin.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
I explained that I have a trapdoor on my left elbow...
Then 3 dollar coins vanish in the trapdoor, only to magically reappear in the left hand...(the effect)

As Rannie said, I've never heard any comment from the audience complaining about the use of elbows or any other part we use in coinmagic...

Phedon, +1 !!

^^
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
I'm not sure one would ever hear from the audience "why are you doing that?" It's doubtful that in polite society, anyone would interrupt to ask such a question aloud. They're also probably surprised by the production and would be too busy reacting to that to think about the Why. So, SHOULD there be a reason to do the magic or is the visual suprise enough? On a somewhat similar note, when you go to a horror movie and see special effects gore that's just there for gore's sake and doesn't drive the story line, do you care? One might legitimately argue that people enjoy the movie regardless.

On a personal satisfaction level, I would like my magic to make some sense (at least to me!). Hanging Coins is another one that I've wondered about. Why HANG INVISIBLE coins in mid air? Again, it seems that this is a method that is looking for a more logical presentation. In thinking about it, I may try something like "you know how pay phones are dissapearing now that we all have cell phones?..." and insert coins that really disappear into the invisible pay phone. Or perhaps talk about how slot machines make your money disappear. Okay, that's still defying logic, but it is somewhat more satisfying to me to have (an albeit weak) explanation. I'll have to dig back through my Roth material to see what he usually says for Haning Coins.

- Frank
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Quote:
On 2008-01-12 05:01, phedonbilek wrote:
Why the elbow? For ditching purposes. Works great. I always use my elbow. Now, if you're questioning yourself about the logic behind the elbow thing, I think you're missing something. You're OK with transferring coins from one hand to the other to vanish them, you're OK with actually the very fact of vanishing them (why would I make money disappear?), you're OK with biting coins, but you're having issues with using the elbow Smile ?

Phedon

Who said I WAS ok with those things? Smile

- Frank
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
"I always keep an extra coin glued to the back of my hand! Here's another I keep on my elbow...don't you?"
Wes
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I dunno about why, but it sure plays huge on spectators and I feel like I over use the gag like crazy.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
"Toukus" a long time to get there but we got there.

Elbows are a much safer place.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Tablic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Tablic
I forget the exact line, but the man I call my mentor says something like 'Magicians store coins behind their elbow when they're not using them', or something like that. Not sure if the line's his own, or if he got it from somewhere else, but it's probably the latter
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
"nothing up my sleeve" Sound familiar?
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
Remy
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Remy
Quote:
On 2008-01-12 11:57, Frank L. wrote:
I'm not sure one would ever hear from the audience "why are you doing that?" It's doubtful that in polite society, anyone would interrupt to ask such a question aloud. They're also probably surprised by the production and would be too busy reacting to that to think about the Why. So, SHOULD there be a reason to do the magic or is the visual suprise enough? On a somewhat similar note, when you go to a horror movie and see special effects gore that's just there for gore's sake and doesn't drive the story line, do you care? One might legitimately argue that people enjoy the movie regardless.

On a personal satisfaction level, I would like my magic to make some sense (at least to me!). Hanging Coins is another one that I've wondered about. Why HANG INVISIBLE coins in mid air? Again, it seems that this is a method that is looking for a more logical presentation. In thinking about it, I may try something like "you know how pay phones are dissapearing now that we all have cell phones?..." and insert coins that really disappear into the invisible pay phone. Or perhaps talk about how slot machines make your money disappear. Okay, that's still defying logic, but it is somewhat more satisfying to me to have (an albeit weak) explanation. I'll have to dig back through my Roth material to see what he usually says for Haning Coins.

- Frank

In Joe Rindfleisch's version of hanging coins in "Extreme Coin Magic" he explains that his coins look so shiny because he cleans them so often. He then goes on to explain that to 'dry' them he puts them on a clothes line / hangs them in the air.

His rationale is that he needs to make his coins invisible or else some no-good-nick that comes passing by might steal them (justifying their invisibility). In the end he collects them all from the clothes line in one fell swoop.

I rather line this approach.

-Remy
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
If you don't think the elbow makes sense, what do you use / where do you suggest?

Phedon +2
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
The elbows are within easy reach, they keep the focus of attention in a smaller space than other more distant locations like the knees, you don't have to turn away or bend over, your hands and arms are always in sight, and they are away (supposedly) from the places you could ditch a coin.

John
The real magic is family!
DoveLover
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of DoveLover
I just want to say some friends told me they were not impressed by coins from the elbow because it's easy to stick coins behind the sleeve and hide them just behind the elbow.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Why do coins come out by your elbows? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL