The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Something wicked this way comes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Hi.

In Derren's show he "uses" psychological commands through out the show. and later reveals it at the very end. I have had this idea many years ago and I'm sure I have seen this somewhere else...maybe a movie where everything is explained at the end. Is this unique to Derren or have magicians/mentalists used this before?
Tone
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Tone
Good question. This sort of reveal certainly is Derren's "thing", but I don't think he was the first to use the concept...
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
Used widely in some NLP training programs in the 70's and throughout time. Decoding the hypnotic language and patterns

derren was no where near the first - and since he did do triaing with one who used this approach it is not uncommon to find nearaly verbatim NLP scripts used in db's appraocehs. However, please don't advertise this to NLPers.

They should know nothing about mentalsim unless of course they are a mentalist - the internet has indeed been a curse

and at times a blessing...

shhhhhhhhhhhh

keep the secrets....
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
The reason I ask is because I would like to combine this reveal with Julian bonds home vido prediction where I make a video about what I'm going to force on the morning of the show then the snippets where I throw in the forces then the actual prediction trick but after that I show that I intended to make everyone shoose what they chose etc.

I don't want to rip off anyone so some kind of direction would be appreciated. I just love the concept. Anyone.

MAC ( mr. trying to do the right thing)
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Does it matter if he does it first.....You just go ahead and Do it!....unless you want to be 100% original...which is highly un-likely Smile

what does matter is ......can you "Entertain" your Audience with that presentational ploys?...since no matter how good your presentational ploys, if your audience don't get entertain and yawn....then your presentational ploys will render useless
dunlop
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, UK
201 Posts

Profile of dunlop
That reveal impressed a lot the audience!!!!!
by the way, I like more Derren's stage persona.

Nicolas.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Oh what tangled webs we weave, when we...

well, you get the message...hopefully...
I've asked to be banned
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Got it, Abraxus. Finally. Had me for quite awhile, he did. One of the greats.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Indeed, Abraxus.

We just sit back..

with our mouths shut...

and watch
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
I have my own ideas about what happens in that routine
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
It's truly a stunning routine. Everything is scripted and performed so excellently. Everything is perfectly justified.

And as far as it being strung together through-out the entire play, as you've said, it's nothing new. There are a massive amount of films, books, comics, plays, songs and albums that do such a thing. I've done it back with sleight of hand shows.

It's simply called good story telling. It creates an OH MY moment that has been used for centuries, maybe even millenniums.

Derren, however, was the first mentalist or magician that I've seen use it.
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Actually, there is some footage kicking about of Dunninger using a similar technique. Without wishing to expose or suggest anything in an open forum, Dunninger definitely did use the technique legitimately.

Before Dunninger enters the stage, the voice over states "Please welcome the man who fooled previous US president...(Here a presidents name is mentioned - but I forgot which one)

Dunninger comes onto the stage and, after a bit of a preamble, attempts a 'Thought Transmission' experiment where he projects the name of a US president to peoples minds through the TV. Naturally it was the one which was mentioned in the preamble. However, the great distinction between the two presentations is that Dunninger did not draw peoples attention to the 'subliminal message'.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2008-01-28 20:38, abraxus wrote:
Oh what tangled webs we weave, when we...

well, you get the message...hopefully...

Ain't that the truth!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Something wicked this way comes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL