The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Job Interview...Email a Thank-You?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
I have recently decided (thanks to the economic condition) to join the hunt for a new career position. I am very conservative in my business approach and while I think that email and the internet has had a very positive impact on business I wonder if it is acceptable to email a follow-up (thank-you) letter after an interview.

I think that email is much too informal for such a communication and usually opt to send a letter via snail-mail. However, in many cases the company has already met and made a decision about the interview prior to receiving the letter.

Recently I have begun emailing follow-ups and attaching an interesting article that touches on a topic that was discussed during the interview. I reason that email allows me to attach such a document which may be impractical in the form of a letter.

Any thoughts??
William Holcomb
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Like you, I think that email feels a bit casual for this sort of interaction. However, it is fast becoming an accepted form of communication, and many business deals are conducted through the use of email. I work in the IT dept of a company that has approx 100 employees and we (as a company) send/receive an average of 1200 emails a day!!

If you would like the speed of email, but the formality of a letter: Why not attach a Word document containing your letter? This way the email merely acts as an 'envelope' to deliver your real message in?

Good idea providing links to relevant articles etc. You could also send a recorded message (video or audio) or if you have a website then you could provide a link to that (that’s how I got my job!).

If you don't have a website, PM me as I could put a suitable one together for you without too much trouble (no charge of course!).

Anywho, good luck with the job-hunting,

Chris.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Wow Chris - that's a very kind offer! I do have a web-site that I use for my business (I'm a executive coach) and I never thought of sending a link to it!

Thanks!
William Holcomb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Job Interview...Email a Thank-You?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL