The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My short show (will it work?) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
To echo what everbody else said, go for it. Only lengthen the routine if you really feel comfortable with the new segment. Regardless, you will learn no matter what, and you'll probably have fun.

Keep us updated,

Monte
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
The foremost rule in entertainment is "Leave them wanting more." It sounds like you accomplished that in your audition. If you are not comfortable doing the juggling, and it does not fit in with the flow of the show, then leave it out.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
tomthemagicman
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tomthemagicman
Well guys, I did it... and it was a complete and total...

SUCCESS! Everyone loved me. They cheered all through my d'lite routine and gasped when I pulled the streamer out of my mouth. Then during my hipity hop rabbits I even got them laughing! Thanks sooo much for the encouragement, now I know I can do this! Hey, I even won the door prize! judging by the applause I was in at least the top 3 performers.
Thanks and Cheers
-TOmthemagicman
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Congratulations!Go ahead and keep the good work!
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
Congrats Tom! It's the best feeling in the world when you know you've done good and everyone loves your work. Smile
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of 0045
Hi Tom

Well I guess I am too late with my advice, I have only just joined this thread. What I was going to say is that despite the advice given here only you will ever know if you are ready for a public performance, and you must make up your own mind.

You sound like quite a young fellow and going up on stage is extremely daunting at the best of times. Anyway it seems you deemed that you were ready and pulled it off 100%. I take my hat off to you, It must have taken a huge amount of courage.

I only ever perform close up for friends and family and the thought of a stage performance fills me with dread. I have nothing but admiration for you. Well done indeed.

Regards 0045
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Tom, that's awesome man!! Congratulations on your performance!!
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Congrats.
In future listen to the guys here and not to the guys on the Penguin forum. We are not always right. Just most of the time.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you some fresh NEW D'LITES, And I'll get Rocco to give you an autographed picture.

Sounds like you did a good job, congratulations!

BTW; Do you know I'm the first person to ever sell D'LITE. The moves you describe are the ones I do on the Original D'LITE video. (Which is now a collectors item.)

Justin
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of 0045
Justin

The generosity ( Oh dear, too many whiskeys, I think I may have spelled that wrong) of the folks at the Café never ceases to amaze me, I think you are a seriously fine fellow and I wish I was in a position to do something similar.

The young man definately deserves it.

Regards 0045
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Wow, sounds like a great experience. I'm glad to see everybody helped him along throughout the whole thing...

I have a talent show coming up pretty soon too and I just got back into magic after many MANY years of my trunk sitting in storage. Your story has really made me think twice about saying no, though. Unfortunately I do mostly card magic and depending on the size of the venue, it may not be a good fit.
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2008-03-20 00:25, tomthemagicman wrote:
Well guys, I did it... and it was a complete and total...

SUCCESS!

Hey, good for you, Tom.
tomthemagicman
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Thanks for all the encouragement, I'm really glad I did it! A lesson we all should take from this is that performing few tricks well is better than many tricks badly. My whole act lasted about 3 minutes and consisted of only a d'lite to streamer routine and the hippity hop rabbits, and it turned out great! Thanks again guys. And a HUGE thank you to Justin Style.
tomthemagicman
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Justin Style, you rock!
Got home today to find a box on my doorstep. I picked it up and immediately noticed that
a) it was addressed specifically to me
B)It was from D'lite

I excitedly opened it expecting to find one set of d'lites from Justin Style. What actually was there was: Rocco's autograph, 2 sets of regular d'lites, 2 sets of junior d'lites, a set of d'lite morphs and a set of blue d'lites. I practically screamed with excitement!

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH JUSTIN AND ROCCO... You guys rule!
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Don't be surprised if you get some emails or PM's asking for advise.

Great Start. Keep it up.

John (acesover)
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks Tom!

Go out and Rock on! Spread magic to others and let them see the light shine through you. Now when you perform D'lite you will have a few to give out, if you want to make people happy.

Good luck, have fun!

Justin
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Great job, Tom! It sounds like you had fun!
JasonbytheOcean
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, D.C.
102 Posts

Profile of JasonbytheOcean
Quote:
On 2008-03-25 00:57, tomthemagicman wrote:
Thanks for all the encouragement, I'm really glad I did it! A lesson we all should take from this is that performing few tricks well is better than many tricks badly.

Tom,

MANY congratulations, look forward to hearing more about your performances in the future!

I just came across this thread, and had a thought no one else mentioned until you did, above. I'm surprised there weren't more suggestions that you practice more, rehearse with another magician, etc. instead of just going for it. The reason being, we so often as magicians complain about people who go on and perform before they're really ready, and how that diminishes the art for the rest of us. The next time the spectator sees someone about to perform, they recall the negative experience and their impressions of magic are lowered as a result.

However, in your case, you stuck to what you know and did a great job because of it. Thanks for giving someone a reason to remember magic as amazing, maybe they'll come to someone else's gig as a result! G'donya, and keep it up!
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Nice work Tom, I am a Huge fan of the D'Lytes, they have such an unexpected impact, which captivates quickly, and stays magical. Justin is a great guy and an inspiration to us new guys. You will do well to enjoy yourself at all times, and build on your successes!
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My short show (will it work?) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL