The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Magnet strength (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Is it possible to strengthen or weaken embedded magnets by exposing (or rubbing?)with other stronger - say rare earth - magnets?
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
scottjenkins
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of scottjenkins
I heard somewhere that heat can weaken a magnet.
Scott Jenkins
Magician Member of the AMA
Joe Porper's partner!
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Actually, any intense temperature change can affect the strength of a magnet. But I don't know anything about the effect another magnet will have.
vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
Also, a sharp smack on a hard surface will weaken magnets.
It could even completely ruin the magnetic pull, so be careful. This is not the best method to weaken a magnet, although in theory it should work.

-Vinny
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Rare earth magnets are sensitive to extreme heat.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Some magnets are magnetized after they're formed by subjecting them to a strong magnetic field, so technically it's possible. It's not something I'd try at home though. You'd probably need some pretty detailed info on the properties of the magnet you're working on, and I don't think many people would have the equipment available to create a strong enough magnetic field to do the work.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
While smacking a magnet will weaken it smacking a piece of iron repeatedly will magnetize it. You are rearranging the +'s and -'s into line, or out in the first case. Had a tiff with 5th grade teacher about this. She was amazed when I proved it. The question was "How to make a magnet?" and she marked my answer as wrong on a test. I had read ahead in the book. That day we all learned a little about science and teaching.
Don Sautter
View Profile
New user
Arizona
58 Posts

Profile of Don Sautter
And I think the heat required would be like using a blow torch on it - I don't think you could get to the needed heat with anything else. In essence you have to make the magnet hot enough for the atoms to re-align. I think it would be difficult to do so and get the right level of reduced magnatism.

I think it would be easy to overshoot if that makes sense.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
That might work on an iron magnet, but not a rare earth mag. Temperatures over as little as 170 degrees will destroy them.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Magnet strength (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL