The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Where to Put the Parasols (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I've been working on a parasol production act and, admittedly, I have a long ways to go until I'll be happy with it. Conceptually, I have been having some difficulty figuring out what to do with the parasols after I produce them. I don't like the idea of just dropping them on the floor since it clutters up the stage too much for the rest of the show.

I also don't want to simply hand the parasols to an assistant. I've always thought that an assistant should play a more active role than simply holding props. Also, I don't always have the benefit of a well rehearsed, trained assistant for my shows. Sometimes, it's just me or a person that I can train on the spot for one simple effect.

So, here's what I was thinking. Could I combine Cube Squared with the parasol production routine? What if I placed the parasols onto some type of display holder during the routine. At the end of the routine I show both cubes empty and then fill the nested cubes with the parasols. As the music hits the climax, a lady is produced from the cube squared wearing a rain poncho and carrying a massive umbrella.

Any thoughts? Yes, No, Yuck?

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Check out Luna Shimada parasol act. She uses some sort of vertical metal rods on each side of the stage. You can easily put three or four parasols on each side. At the end they can be wheeled out. Why not using this concept. I think it will not be a steal cause this is only an accessory idea.
Keep the parasols visible till the end of the act. This way the audience could see the growing amount of parasols at the end leading to a finale climax. Also never fold the parasols onstage.
Hope this helps,
Best,
Soleil
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi Kent,

I practice and perform parasol act about 2 or 3 years. I know its not too much but I nearly try every style. I mean I always put parasols different places. Sometimes I throw some times I gave them to an assistant. But for the audience its really important. When you put parasols on the stage I mean on the floor, at the end of your act they can see all of them and start thinkin where all these parasols came from. It will build a stronger effect believe me. If you gave it to an assistant and if she go with these parasols stage will be empty and they will forget the effects also the parasols!!

I hope this will hepl.Smile

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
jcmazzolado
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of jcmazzolado
I would like for some sort of "pole" device like a coat rack with angled channels so that as you procude the umbrellas they are visible and open( like a flowral display)
AS to the cube squared idea. Where you planning on closing the unbrellas and putting into the cubes because that would probably throw the timing of the routine off. I like the idea of the raincoat clad assitant production however as a climax to the routine.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I was actually thinking of tossing the open umbrellas one at a time into the cube squared. As I went for the next umbrella, my assistant inside the square would be able to quickly close each umbrella. This way, it would actually look like I filled the entire cube immediately before my assistant makes her appearance.

I also like the idea of the pole device to create a pretty display of the parasols during the production routine.

So far, this is simply a work in progress. But I feel as though I'm getting close to a routine I may actually like.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Kent,
I have worked my act for years and designed it to work as a single. It had to strike quickly to make life easier for other acts on the bill. It has went through numerous revisions. Nothing is perfect and subject to improvement or change. But you only learn that by working the act.

Here is an idea I have used for my bouquet placements in the act. I use a modified box table. I have mounted on the bottom side a piece of coreplas with hole in it. It is painted black and unnoticeable by the audience. They also cannot tell how many holes there are so they have no idea how many bouquets I will produce. It is important not to have holders that are visible to telegraph that more of the same items will be produce and placed into the holders.

Take this idea and put it on three sides of your table. Mount a collar on the upright with more holders in it.
I can easily see a dozen parasols display this way. It will also give you capabilities for steals from the table as you place the parasols. The table can be struck this way with most of the parasols in place.

The parasols on the floor should not a problem. They are easily struck and do spread out the act and make it look bigger.

Another though is to use a pop up trade show display frame work. The parasols could be place into it. In this case, I think you need to keep the table to the side or work without one to allow the parasols to be seen.

Remember to think out your blocking carefully to easily produce, place and go into the next production of parasols, so it all flows. That is the hard part.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's Magic Co. made a tree stand on wheels for a cruise ship magician to place his parasols on. It was welded chrome pipe. Worked well as he only produced about 5 or 6. Then he produced a sun table umbrella. He is no longer with us but his act is still strong in my mind.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Richard,

That's fantastic advice. I like the idea that the audience should not know how many more parasols will be produced. And William, I'm going to give Abbott's a call to see if they can still produce the tree stand or a variation of it. Thanks!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The act William spoke of was Ward Thomas. Basically, he took a supersonic table stand from Abbott's and turned it upside down. But it did show that there were holders for the different parasols. I would try making something out of pvc pipe that folds up first. It would be lighter.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Here's a lil idea, if you use a ditch box or table, perhaps you could modify a stand to place the umbrellas upon. At the end, you have a well decorated stage piece...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I really appreciate your very first observation. The audience looks to you for guidance. If you treat your magical productions as trash, you have set the stage for how the audience receives them too!

Respecting the umbrellas that you produce certainly brings the show up a notch on the quality scale.

Good thinking!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Where to Put the Parasols (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL