The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Okay, I K'know' the lingo isn't enough, but... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Stand by, I'm gonna pat myself on the back...

As you know, I've worked hard to develop a dictionary of the special terms used on the carnival lot, as well as the circus (American and Euro) and vaudeville.

Now I realize fully that my current Ballycast points to a website that seriously misuses "carny insider's lingo," and the interviewee (Kevin Morra) also says he never heard any of that lingo in his 26 years 'widdit' - others have said that it's a mistake for anyone to approach these worlds from any other way than direct involvement and actual experience.

Nonetheless, I was gratified to get an email today asking permission to use extracts from my vaudeville lingo list, as a part of the permanent decor in a new theater - the old Paramount vaudeville house being restored as a performing venue by Emarson College in Boston.

[*brag, brag, beams goofily from ear to ear*]
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Great!
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
New user
Bridgeport, CT
64 Posts

Profile of
Ross,

I have your CD and it’s excellent. You put a great deal of effort compiling that information from the sources available to you. Yes some of it may not be accurate but you went with the sources available. As anyone can see – the original sources that you started with had some of it wrong also.

By you compiling that information and making it available, and having a site like this to exchange thoughts, it starts the much needed dialogue of corrections and advise.

That comes from sources not previously available or offered and not only corrects the record for the future but helps document and correct the history.

Congrats and keep up the good work.

Muggs
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Ever so kind, Muggs.

And if you (or anyone else) find an inaccuracy, please report it to me - I have done my best to vet every entry, and that is an ongoing process.

Thanks to your reminder, I added an "email me if you find an error" link to the online pages. So ... "Thanks" to you!
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Okay, I K'know' the lingo isn't enough, but... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL