The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Chico The Chimp (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jcmagicman
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of jcmagicman
I recently ordered this effect and it finally arrived today. I was reading over the instructions and was wondering if anyone performs this. I would like to see this effect in action or at least obtain some professional tips on how to pin the monkey on a child without causing any bodily harm.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Can you use duct tape instead of the pin on the board? As I remember, the part you stick on the kid's back isn't that heavy.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
It is in Sammy Smith Book, but I don't remember which one. Likewise I saw it on a viedo, but don't remember where.
Dennis Michael
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
The name of the Video is Kidology by Sammy P.Smith an uses a kind of ver small nail,but the video is very good in magic routines for kids and have the explanation and presentation for the mentioned effect,
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
323 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
He is very specific in the video that he does NOT use a nail or anything sharp, but rather a piece of looped masking tape or double sided sticky tape. If you do not already have Sammy Smith's double DVD Kidolody and the Magic Ingredient you really should buy it!

Take care,

Eddie
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
If you decide to go with double-sided tape, 3M, double-sided carpet tape is a good choice. I use it for certain effects, but not Chico. The 3M tape is strong and will hold better than other double-sided tapes I have tried.

Regan
Mister Mystery
jcmagicman
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of jcmagicman
I want to thank all of you for all the advice and quick responses. I am definitely going to look into Sammy Smth's dvd.

J.C.
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
I have not seen Chico the chimp, and I may be wrong, but the concept of hanging Chico on the childs back must make it similar to Super Frog. With that in mind, how about dressing your helper in a safari type vest and pith helmet or organ grinder's costume(With magnet built into the back panel) Use the magnetic material that they sell at Staples for business Cards on the back of Chico. Magnet to magnet, no pins. No having to replace the tape because it picks up all of the lint and such that would make it non tacky after one or two uses.

I have done this with SuperFrog and have my helper dress up as Junior Ace newspaper photographer for the Daily Croaker Jimmy Opossum (or Lizzy Lizard depending if boy or girl is being used) We go through the whole Superman set in the swamp deal. The kids love it, and the adults get a big kick out of it as well.

If I am wrong about Chico, then please disreguard this as the ranting of a deranged mind...lol
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
323 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
Eric,

You are right on the money about Chico. It is virtually the same as Superfrog, minus the cape and plus one chimp. Your routine sounds great!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2008-02-16 16:11, Fast Eddie P. wrote:
He is very specific in the video that he does NOT use a nail or anything sharp, but rather a piece of looped masking tape or double sided sticky tape. If you do not already have Sammy Smith's double DVD Kidolody and the Magic Ingredient you really should buy it!

Take care,

Eddie

I don't have the Double dvd I have only the Kidology and I think is the same,sorry about the nail...The first porpouse of my post is to recommend the dvd,
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I actually put the joke back on myself and have the chimp (or Super Frog in my case) wind up on my own back.

Two reasons for doing this... One, it puts the joke on me and not the kid. When they say, "It's on your back!" I spend a while looking all over my backdrop, behind my backdrop, on the back of my table, etc. until I finally "understand" what they are trying to tell me and reach back to find it on my own back.

Number two, If it's on my own back, I know I'm not going to turn around prematurely and expose it being on my back before it even disappears. Having it on a squirming child's back could blow the suprise of the trick accidentally.

Regarding the attaching method... Since I use it on my own back, I glued a properly bent safety pin on the back of the Frog and just stick it on before I actually start the trick.

But reading Eric's post above, I really like the magnetic idea! I think I might be more likely however to use rare earth magnets than business card type magnet material so I know it's going to stay put as I move around on stage. Thanks for the idea Eric!

Lyndel
Eric Simmatis
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Eric Simmatis
You'd think for the money it would be as good as Eric's idea...
Julian Franklin
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
139 Posts

Profile of Julian Franklin
I use a wad of "ticky tack" also sometimes called "Fun tack". It is basically a gummy substance sold in office supply stores used to hang posters and such without putting holes in the walls.

This will stick it to almost any clothing rather simply. It also never dries out so it can stay on the prop for months or years and still be ready to use.

I also hot glue a clothes pin on the back of the back so that at the conclusion I have the thing end up on my back as well. This sort of leaves me with the brunt of the joke.

The only reason I don't use the clothes pin for the child is that it takes two hands to operate (one to open the pin and the other to shove the cloth of the shirt into the pin) whereas the ticky-tack can be "smushed"* on with one hand. So I load it on the child with one hand when the heat is on and can use the clothes pin for me when no one is looking as they think the trick is over.

* "Smushed" of course, is a technical term use within the trade and probably doesn't show up in any standard English dictionary.

--Julian Franklin
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
323 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
Wow, I wish this thread existed when I first tried this routine. It would have saved me a whole lot of trouble and money...damned staple guns!
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
I moved up to a Hilty. The staples just weren't long enough. Smile
Belleque
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Belleque
The routine I wrote for this trick involves both the spectator (child or adult) and I wearing matching lab coats. With the lab coat on it is virtually impossible for the pin to go through and poke your helper (it's not very big)! However after having a discussion with David Ginn about his card on the volunteers back routine I started using tape. Chico is a bit skinny so you have to customize the tape to make it look better! I too like the magnet idea. I have a fake old west sheriff's badge that came with a magnet that I think would work really well with this effect! One of the neat things that super frog, Sammy Smith's version does is to leave behind super frogs cape (a red handkerchief). I do the same thing with a banana and it works really well!

Brett
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
I always use an adult for this routine but have often toyed with the idea of velcro and choosing a child with a top on that it would stick too.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2008-02-20 17:02, trickytrav wrote:
I always use an adult for this routine but have often toyed with the idea of velcro and choosing a child with a top on that it would stick too.

I think that would be leaving WAY to much to chance! You can't always count on a kid (or anyone really) being at the show who is wearing something "velcro compatible." Plus, imagine how long it would take to pick a volunteer as you search for the one kid in the audience who decided to wear their angora sweater that day! LOL!

Lyndel
Magical Storyteller
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Magical Storyteller
Sorry to be so late joining this forum. Since Chico is my product I will address all of the FANTASTIC input from everyone here. First let me say that Chico came BEFORE Super Frog but after Edwin's Hoppy the frog. I was no longer able to get Hoppy after Edwin's death so I developed a routine around a Chimp and made the prop so not to infringe on Edwin's frog even after his passing in respect.

I did use his method of a sharp pin style of attachment and still do today. I make a simple No sew cape out of felt and attach it to the child and the free flowing cape uses a solid color to help the audience focus on Chico at the appropriate time plus prevents any possibility of sticking the volunteer. I have NEVER stuck a helper using this method. although I like ALL of the methods mentioned earlier and I think they all would work very well and if I were to use magnets I would go with the small neodymium (?) magnets so popular now in magic secretly sewing one into the cape and taping or gluing one on to Chico. I also end up with Chico on my back but only AFTER it appears on the child's back. It gets a double whammy that way and I have never had a child loose the Chico from his back prematurely. But I do keep my eye on him so that he doesn't turn around prematurely. Chico makes a great routine using him as a former pet of Houdini's who learned one of his master's famous escapes! The cape idea came from a routine I used dressing up the volunteers as english Bobbies with cape and hat. It can be easily themed with any costume and that would allow you to make it velcro friendly or to embed magnets into the costume. Thanks to everyone who has made Chico one of my most successful products!

Dave Mitchell
JAM MAGI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Chico The Chimp (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL