The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Normality (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Here's one for you...usually in mentalism, most strive for everyday looking utilities and gimmicks...

but is there a line? does using something so normal and everyday under any circumstance just make you look a little...well...cheap?

I only ask cos I've just made myself some mini close up see through f*****g and sw****ing bags, using those polybags...they work a treat for what I want, but, hmm...dunno...
I've asked to be banned
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
I tend to think that the the polybags are a bit cheap, especialy if they're not in pristine condition.

I'm actually not a fan of bags and mentalism at all. I think they are more suspicious than hats/cups/buckets/boxes which can all serve the same purpose of holding and mixing some objects.

Still, if I was using one, I'd probably make my own out of a nice fabric.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you like cups and similar, have a look at eddie burkes beaker on his site...
I've asked to be banned
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I like cruddy looking stuff...I always find it weird when a coin guy does a routine with super shiny 100 year old coins...if you can do that...why not just use new regular, maybe even borrowed, coins.

Nathan
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-02-16 13:00, abraxus wrote:
[D]oes using something so normal and everyday under any circumstance just make you look a little...well...cheap?

Only if you're wearing a cheap suit. Smile
dazzzman99
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of dazzzman99
Nathan, I agree completely!! casual normal stuff has a down to earth 'real magic' feel about it!!

Take it easy guy's
Dazz
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
I think it is ok to have nice stuff as long as it LOOKS like something specs could buy from staples or walmart etc.

A futuristic looking clipboard as opposed to a standard brown clipboard bought for a few bucks that you see at many definately stands out as "propy". I always try to make sure the items I buy fit with what the market has readily available or what is standard in the eyes of specs.

Best,

Paul h.
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
Quote:
On 2008-02-19 14:38, Paul h. wrote:
I always try to make sure the items I buy fit with what the market has readily available or what is standard in the eyes of specs.

I second that statement.

There are certain circumstances in which I would consider opting for a snazzier version but these are carefully thought through.

When I'm watching a performance, I expect the performer to use good quality equipment. If I went to watch a band and their guitars kept going out of tune, the PA was feeding back and the drum kit was falling over then I would consider this a poor performance regardless of the skill of the musicians. Your props are a reflection of you and your attitude towards your performance.

I personally try to use the best quality possible whilst staying well within most people's idea of "normal". When in doubt, I try to imagine myself watching someone use the prop and judge for myself whether I would be suspicious or not.
Check out my releases at http://stores.lulu.com/mentalism
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
Yep, things can look out of place cheap or expensive... everyday or unusual.

There's no need to use cheap tat though in your performances. As I've mentioned before, I'm a pretty suave and sophisticated guy. I'm not gonna be caught using 2nd rate gear just because some members of the audience might be too tight to buy quality things themselves.

If you're in a performance setting - you should be using quality.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It is a juxtapotsition though - as mentalists we are taught to use innocuous stuff; yet at the same time...as a pro we might be expected to use higher end looking items in some instances...

when is a prop not a prop?...i'm not expecting a punchline...
I've asked to be banned
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Its not normal for a man in a suit to shop in wal mart. Your props are a reflection and mere extention of yourself. Just as I dress myself in clothes to perform, I extend this to the props I buy, what looks good, what doesn't/. Does this go with that etc. It's all an image. Does it fit you?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Do I look cheap? good god yes...

I've always gone by the normal is, as normal does way of thinking...i'll be road testing teh mini-bags soon, see how I go...

they're the polybags we all get our little effects in...those small see-thru ones with the self seal tops...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Normality (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL