The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why would anyone burn a school? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Just have to get this off my chest. My son's grade school was set a blaze last night by a suspected arsonist. A couple of months ago, the same window was broken and gasoline was poured into the classroom, but a fire was never started. Apparently the same person came back and was successful last night. Why on earth would anyone do this? It's a grade school for academically gifted kids as well as special needs kids. It happened in the middle of the night, so no one was hurt, but with the smoke damage, the entire school will be shut down for quite some time. Sometimes, I just don't get this world....

Ken
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
My guess based on 13 years experience as a police officer... It was a kid who attends the school and decided that he wanted a few days off. I also predict that he will brag about it to someone and will be arrested within one week.

Let me know if my prediction is accurate!

By the way, when I worked at the cop shop, another officer and I were sitting in our patrol cars shooting the breeze at about three in the morning in a school parking lot. In the dead quite of night time, sound travels!

I heard the distinct sound of glass breaking and immediately knew someone had broken a glass around the corner at the school where we were parked. Long story short, the sound had been made by one of the kids who attended the school by throwing a molotov cocktail through the office window!

Since we were on scene so fast and able to summon the fire department so quickly, the building was saved from what would have been certain total destruction!

Oh the kid that did it got away that night escaping into the darkness, but bragged to a buddy who flipped on him the next day!

Lyndel
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
The 100 percent correct answer is this. The person who did it is a compleate idiot. Pure and simple he/she has never amounted to anything and NEVER WELL!!!
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2008-02-18 15:26, Lyndel wrote:
My guess based on 13 years experience as a police officer... It was a kid who attends the school and decided that he wanted a few days off. I also predict that he will brag about it to someone and will be arrested within one week.

Let me know if my prediction is accurate!

By the way, when I worked at the cop shop, another officer and I were sitting in our patrol cars shooting the breeze at about three in the morning in a school parking lot. In the dead quite of night time, sound travels!

I heard the distinct sound of glass breaking and immediately knew someone had broken a glass around the corner at the school where we were parked. Long story short, the sound had been made by one of the kids who attended the school by throwing a molotov cocktail through the office window!

Since we were on scene so fast and able to summon the fire department so quickly, the building was saved from what would have been certain total destruction!

Oh the kid that did it got away that night escaping into the darkness, but bragged to a buddy who flipped on him the next day!

Lyndel

Hey Lyndel, I didn't know you were on the job?! Cool. I think they could use you here in the city. Last night the midtown south was broken into. All the toilets were stolen. They need help, so far they have nothing to go on!

...hey now!
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
It's a grade school, 12 years old and younger. So if it was a student, they were out in the middle of the night.

Ken
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-02-18 15:05, Ken Dumm wrote:
Just have to get this off my chest. My son's grade school was set a blaze last night by a suspected arsonist.

It is was a serial arsonist (a repeat offender, not a one-timer), the nature of the building probably did not much matter to them. In that case, better an empty school than a densely populated bar or apartment complex.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2008-02-18 16:09, Ken Dumm wrote:
It's a grade school, 12 years old and younger. So if it was a student, they were out in the middle of the night.

Ken

So was the one I mentioned in my post above... I think the perp was 12.

Justin, Not on the job anymore. Thank God! By the way, that joke is to cops like the joke, "Hey, can you make my wife dissappear!?" is to magicians Smile

But thanks for trying! Smile

Lyndel
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Lyndel,

If he/she was that young, I think the parents shoulder some the responsibility.

Ken
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Arsonists don't make much ordinary sense. If you felt a compulsion to set a fire, wouldn't you want (a) minimal chance of being caught by someone in the area, (2) minimal chance of killing an occupant, and (3) the same guarantee as anywhere else that you'd get to see the pretty fire trucks?
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
Whatever the motive, the problem of antisocial behaviour isn't as simplistic to deal with as we hope it could be.
I always ask why when we've arrested someone, and other than the usual (expletive deleted) you, at most we get a shrug of the shoulders and some sort of mumbled 'Id'nnoman...'
Oh if only the parents could be nailed for what some of these little ess oh bees do.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The forces of ignorance and poverty sometimes take direct action. At least this incident of school violence was directed at the building and not the students.

It's getting scary to even think about school.

I would not call doing violence at a school successful - perhaps misguided at best - lots of less kindly language is what I'd prefer to type.

I hope the community rebuilds the school quickly and the students take this as a sign that they need to make the most of every day they have there.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
My sister lives in rural PA. A few years back, the son of the local fire chief was arrested for arson.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2008-02-18 18:17, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
At least this incident of school violence was directed at the building and not the students.

Amen Jonathan! Now that is a wonderful way to see the glass half FULL in this day and age!

Lyndel
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-02-18 15:26, Lyndel wrote:
My guess based on 13 years experience as a police officer... It was a kid who attends the school and decided that he wanted a few days off.

I'm with you. Cui bono?!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Sonny and Cher had a second kid?
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Lots of boys are fascinated by fire. I was one of them. Thank God that back in my day we had fireworks, rockets, and chemistry sets! That pretty much took care of satisfying my interest in pyro-stuff. (Unfortunately, kids today don't have much access to such things.)

And thank God, too, for church and the Boy Scouts, which along with involved parents taught me early on how to tell right from wrong.

I was the classic 'loner who kept to himself'. Lord knows how I would have turned out without those things in my life.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Here in Carson City (I'm about 40 miles out but it is my 'here') about four months ago a nine year old who was facinated with fire got killed in a fire he started in a building....he started it around midnight after he snuck out.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Well, an arrest has been made.....

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic......03010337

I hoping they have the right guy. My family is sleeping a bit better tonight...

Ken
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2008-03-01 13:25, Ken Dumm wrote:
Well, an arrest has been made.....

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic......03010337

I hoping they have the right guy. My family is sleeping a bit better tonight...

Ken

I stand corrected... One never can accurately predict the occassional pyromaniac vs. a criminal mischief minded student!

Lyndel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why would anyone burn a school? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL