The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Question about Certain 1080p TV's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
I was in Fry's today and they were Demoing two 1080p TV sets side by side with a sign that said, "Can you see the Difference?" (Both TV'S were playing the new Batman movie) Obviously, one TV's picture seemed to move a lot smoother than the other (It cost a 1,000 bucks more). But IMHO, it looked like complete ****! It seemed like it was sped up and very "video" like. The other TV looked like I was watching an actual film, the TV that was 1,000 bucks more looked like I was watching something that was shot on some kind of sped up video camera! They were advertising it like it was "better"...I don't think so.

What is this technology? It looks bad in my eyes... what's your opinion?
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Were they comparing two different brands of 1080p's. Or could they have been comparing 1080i to 1080p or different inputs or something? Or was it just a side by side comparison of two different brands or models?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I have not encountered that with our TV (we have a 46" full hd Sony Bravia), but I have seen what you just described. Real films that have the video look to them-my dad's 100Hz screen (conventional, not flat) does have that as well. Quite often I have seen problems associated with upscaling standard TV or DVD footage.

Trust me, if you'd see a Full HD TV playing a high-def disc with everything properly set-up, you'd be blown away Smile The image is honestly so sharp that it looks almost 3D. I just watched Cars and am still shaken by the sheer experience!
Sent from my Typewriter
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Problem with ANY side by side comparison in ANY store with ANY brands is the Noodle that sets them up.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Doug's got a point there. That's usually the core problem. And those same people affect the decisions of the everyday people that know absolutely nothing about technology...
Sent from my Typewriter
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Were both tv's LCD, or both plasma? Or could they have been comparing LCD to plasma. Some things look better on LCD, and some look better on plasma, based on the input or programing and the way they refresh etc.

Although with a movie it shouldn't matter that much.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
What was described seems to have to do with the 'refresh rate'.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-02-20 11:37, Doug Higley wrote:
What was described seems to have to do with the 'refresh rate'.

That's waht I thought. AT first I thought they might have been comparing 1080i to 1080p. But Clock says they were both 1080p. Each one refreshs differently.
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
I have an HD player and a 1080p TV (awesome btw)... Great quality is not the issue.

It looks as if the frames have been artificially blended (like 60i interlaced video). Very weird look... Just curious if anyone has seen this before (mvmagic seems to have)...

They were both 1080p.

So is it the refresh rate?
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
It's hard to say without knowing what they were comparing. I don't think you would really SEE much difference betweeen 1080i and 1080p.

I'm not any kind of expert. It's just that I've seen a lot of tv's in the last few months. And I saw a lot of differences. I shopped for a few weeks and then bought 3 LCD's about 2 weeks ago.

MV is right about he blu-ray and the hd combo. I was watching pirates of the Carribean and it looked like 3-D.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Perhaps some of the more tech inclined here could help if you posted the brands and model numbers for the two sets.

I bought a Samsung 1080P, 15,000:1 refresh rate LCD a few months ago off Amazon and have been really happy with it. I also bought the Oppo 981 upscaling DVD player, which definitely improved the picture.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
On 2008-02-20 16:24, Clock wrote:
So is it the refresh rate?

I think it is. Its very apparent on my dad's 100Hz TV-everything looks like home video as far as motion goes. 1080i and 1080p don't look different to me anyway (but then again, I have never compared them side-by-side). Only slightly disturbing thing so far has been with the TiVo as that's standard resolution and the amp upscales the image to 1080 and with some material that looks crappy.

Quote:
On 2008-02-21 00:19, bugjack wrote:

I bought a Samsung 1080P, 15,000:1 refresh rate LCD a few months ago...

that's the contrast ratio, not the refresh rate.
Sent from my Typewriter
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Okay, I found out what it was today in Sears...

Apparently, some TV companies are adding a smooth frame feature (optional) that takes a 60Hz image, creates artificial frames, and outputs a 180 Hz image. It makes sense for sports, but I feel that it's too much for the eye when watching a movie.
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Well no wonder it looked bad! It really is kinda disturbing when a good flick looks like reality-tv!
Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Question about Certain 1080p TV's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL