The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Care of C&B cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I keep all of my valuable collectibles in a showcase! They are rarely touched and when they are, its with kid mittens! I, often, only view and admire them! At one time,
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Jake,

Can the gold on the Sherwood Cups be re-applied correctly by somebody that is knowledgebale? I'm not having any trouble yet (knock on wood), but the cups are less than 6 months old.

Steven
Coram Deo
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have had a minor problem with a small amount of brown tarnish showing up underneath the gold on my gold-plated, engraved Sherwoods. I spotted it in time and was able to wipe most of it off, but that was what inspired me to put all my silver cups, plated or not, into sealed plastic cases.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I've checked my plated cups and was pleased to find that they're fine, but I'm keen to keep them that way, so will be following any tips that you have to offer.

What sort of plastic cases are they, Bill? And any advantage of the cases over plastic bags?

Thanks

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
If cups are actually plated and not stained or washed you shouldn't see any tarnish coming through.

Steven, the gold can be reapplied, but it's not a cheap process since each cup has to be masked by hand to achieve the rings being plated rebuffed.

If you've been able to remove the tarnish through the gold, the gold is gone. The most upsetting part is Brett will not address this and pushing in at close to 2K a set of cups with gold plating as advertised should show no tarnish.

My one gold chop cup looks like the dark side of the moon, one particular spot on it has oxidized quicker than the rest of the cup.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Thanks for the info Jake. After buying the Sherwood Cups, an 'expensive process' is a relative term. I look at it more as protecting my investment (regardless of it being a good or bad decision). I'd send them to you, Jake, but given your feelings you just might beat the cups to death... Smile
Coram Deo
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I wonder how Brett will address this.

There is an off chance that what I had on the one cup was an accumulation of tobacco smoker output. My wife is a smoker.

But somehow, I doubt it.

Richard:

I don't know if the cases I use are any better than plastic bags. They look nicer. I got most of them at The Container Store. They are made by AMAC.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Brett Sherwood
Quote:
On 2008-03-14 04:29, Mad Jake wrote:
Care of brass and copper, even chrome is a simple process. I have numerous sets in silver and 24kt gold plate I've made for myself and others. They can be a bit more tricky.

A recent problem I've run into is my mortgage investment that I was told was a sound one by Brett Sherwood's website statements has turned into anything but. All my gold plated cups by him are turning black. Meaning the tarnish from the silver or a foriegn alloy is destroying the gold plate, which leads to another question, are these really gold plated or stained? It appears that in one section of Brett's site he says their gold washed, very very thin process, usually applied with a cotton cloth, but then he says in another part of his site the gold is substantial electroplate.

For investments of 1600+ for anything gold plated on the Sherwood cups this problem is unacceptable. I have written Brett 5x on this issue none of which he has replied to in regards to correcting. Those familiar with RNT II plating can tell you our silver tarnish does not bleed through our 24kt pure gold plate. Our plater confirmed that the cups are stained, not really plated.

Bretts suggestion of polishing them lightly results in the removal of the Gold that is there, so I don't recommend doing it. I've had numerous contacts with our customers who have had the same problem with their Sherwoods

With no response from Brett and based on his investment stratagy on his website bolstering his cups as an investment, you may want to consider investing in Junk Bonds instead. I'm sure the Vernon Estate would not be happy that this is happennig since they are attatched to Brett and back him, nor his willingness to accept responsibility in a serious production issue.

Jake

Quote:
On 2008-03-14 12:13, rmendez wrote:
I keep all of my valuable collectibles in a showcase! They are rarely touched and when they are, its with kid mittens! I, often, only view and admire them!

Here are the Facts:
•This is the first time I have heard of Bill Palmer’s cups having a stain and would have been interested to know previously.
•Common sense dictates that if I wanted to hide something about a staining problem of my cups I wouldn’t place it onto my website Q&A for ALL to read. This was an isolated incident and I placed the simple solution for this one incident onto my Q&A to HELP people, not deceive them.
•No one else has ever contacted me about this matter since and with the cost of these gold plated silver cups I find this HIGHLY UNLIKELY that there are many others out there with the same problem.
•Initially when my cups first arrived in 2003 gold wash was mistakenly used by my spinner and I openly stated this, but upon learning about this I immediately paid the shipping to correct this with all the first buyers at my own expense and they can authenticate this as FACT.
•The gold plating as supplied by my spinners was confirmed to me as gold plate.

I hope this sets the record straight.
Sincerely,
Brett Sherwood
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Brett,

Thanks for setting things straight. Just one correction, however. I don't have ANY problems with my cups. They are beautiful. I was just anticipating that something might go wrong and wanted to know what to do, IF something were to happen. And as for somebody who has purchased from Jake and you, I can only say, you are both quality guys and I'd do and will do business with both of you in the future.

Steven
Coram Deo
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
So the facts are this Brett....

A. The cups are stained and Turning
B. You never answered inquiries
C. Cleaning the cups will remove the gold stain

Now if you like I can post pictures of the ugly tarnish coming through on all the cups, this isn't about you, it isn't about me, it's about the cups that are turning.

The same night 3 days ago during our little email chat session I once again sent the email requesting information about this situation, you didn't answer that one either. Oh your buddy never contacted us either.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Back to the initial question...

While I like a copper cup with a patina they start to get less and less visble as they get darker. If you have any distance at all it can be hard for people to see just what the trick is. A balancing act indeed.

Also, be sure to stick to a wooden wand. These attractive steel wands are much too heavy to use on any cup you plan to use in the next show. If you tap somthing with these wands it stays tapped! I think the classic is the drummer's drumstick.

Plungerman
bkp007
View Profile
New user
Longview, Texas
63 Posts

Profile of bkp007
Quote:
On 2008-02-22 00:56, pepka wrote:
Why does some look different than others. Most copper cups with a patina seem to look the same to me. Could it be a different kind of brass? Environmental issues depending on where you live?

My Johnson cups really looked like crap if not polished once in a while.

So what exactly is your polishing procedure?

I'm new to this, and haven't really polished many things, much less a set of johnson cups.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The main thing when you are allowing your copper cups to patinize is to stop the process when you have reached the right point. Wax or even machine oil, lightly applied then wiped off, will usually do the trick.

Regarding cleaning the cups, here are a couple of threads:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=115&29
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Don't do this or your cat will look like Bill Palmer:

*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
That's one heck of a final load!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I hope that Mr. Whiskers doesn’t suffer when you screw of f the Hat.
Ethan Orr
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis
163 Posts

Profile of Ethan Orr
You need to wax his whiskers and put a banjo in front of him.

That picture made my morning.Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hmmmmmmmmm... nice to see Johnny Paul cup put to good use. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 03:41, gaddy wrote:
Don't do this or your cat will look like Bill Palmer:

The cat looks like my schnauzers making fun of me.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Smile
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Care of C&B cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL