The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Westmount Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Michael - I have notes on your diamond/gemstone production routine.

I didn't like it as recorded, but I think it has potential. First of all, I wouldn't start off with the explanation that you do. You say "hearts are made of candy hearts, etc." If I'm a spectator, I'll be thinking at that point - "what a stupid thing to say - that's not true at all." I think it would be equally effective if you said "Imagine if the hearts were made of candy hearts....Imagine if the spades were made of shovels," etc.

Also - the production is rushed. Your movements are just way too fast and jerky. Slow it down!
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Thank you to Tim for your kind words of enocuragement and Michael for your great tips on the gemstone production. I agree that the original patter was rather cheesy, and I really like your changes to it.. they really seem to bring the "imagination into reality" concept to great effect! I will try out some new patter and presentation and see how it goes over!
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Michael Kent in the house! I keep up with your MySpace blog regularly, so I'm glad you post as often as you do. Your suggested change for the patter in Michael's routine is precisely what I was thinking.

Kras, that's sound advice from Timothy - you're doing so well on your own, you don't really need to seek out the praise of others. What you, and everyone, can always use is constructive criticism, such as what Michael Kent offered to you. I'll say here what I've said so many times before in this section of the forum: it takes a lot of guts to post a video of yourself, especially for real spectators, and that alone ought to be praised. Keep 'em coming!
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Michael,

I applaud you for your efforts and I do believe you have something going! My advice is to study and develop "dynamics". You must learn how to use pauses, space, and change in pace and tone. I don't know if you are a music lover...but if you are... let me quote the great BBking.."When we talk to people we can't be screaming all the time... or else they won't listen" This explains why BB king is so great in what he does....He just drop "Bombs" unexpectedly. If Bombs were drop every second... there would not be much of a surprise and the next drop would be expected. Another side effect is that the audience may get tired as well. You must give your audience the time to appreciate a phase...give them time to register what has just happened...(depending on the needs of the routine...sometimes the "wham Bam" is a set up for the next surprise) . The spaces and the pauses give them ample time to appreciate your magic, ample time to applaud you and more importantly make things clear to them. Clarity is also a factor.

Use the space, the pauses and the dynamics... you will see some drastic improvements! Enjoy your youth Mike....It only happens once in your lifetime. I'd be a teenager anytime if I could!

Best to you Mike!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 20:50, BrianMillerMagic wrote:
Michael Kent in the house! I keep up with your MySpace blog regularly, so I'm glad you post as often as you do. Your suggested change for the patter in Michael's routine is precisely what I was thinking.

No way - someone reads my blog!?
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-02-27 09:52, MichaelKent wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 20:50, BrianMillerMagic wrote:

No way - someone reads my blog!?

I do! Maybe I should get a life outside of magic.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Don't bother, I hear Ellusionist is releasing a deck soon with a "real life" design on the back.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

I can't wait! Smile
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
We will have more footage filmed this week, and hopefully in the future it will not be just at school.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Michael, I think some of the best advice I have ever heard from people who were successful in the entertainment is to NOT listen to what other people say. Occasionally some one will give some genuine advice but generally people would stomp out your dreams rather than see them happen. I will say that it seems like your desperate for the approval of your peers and at your age on this site where there are people that have put in a lot of time learning magic and also performing magic I don't think you are going to get the kind of props your looking for. I agree with you that teenagers when you are filming street magic generally don't clap.
Shaun
http://www.papercraneproductions.net
P3
practice practice perform.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Westmount Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL