The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying balls questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
I know there were a lot of topics on multiplying balls but I read them (alot of them...) and there weren't answers to this so I made up a new topic.

1. I saw multiplying golf balls and there were two versions of it - rubber and hanging box which I don't know what it is.

2. Multiplying sponge balls are they (as I heard) not so much visible if you are on stage, and if they are normal sponges and the gimmick isn't them difficult to operate? And is it true that they are the easiest to steal undercover - without any dropper?

3. When I buy any set of multiplying balls do I have to buy a dropper to show the effect better? Or are there easy ways for stealing a ball?
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
If I can understand right, you are new to ball manipulations. In this case, buy a set of silicone balls and some DVD's and books on the subject. Good balls are Fakinis. Good sources are Jeff McBride World class DVD set.
You don't have to use holders. You can work a routine out of your pockets. It depends on the routine you want to perform.
Best,
Soleil

PS: By the way, I am selling two sets of Fakini multiplying balls in the Let's Make a Magic Deal section.
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Multiplying sponge balls can be very visible. However, most are not. Most of the multiplying sponge ball sets are 1.5 inches. That is on the small size for a stage or platform. If you are performing in a living room or for small groups they will be OK. Think of them as a close-up item. You don't need any kind of dropper to work them. They are remarkable easy to perform.

There are some rare versions that are made to look like tennis balls that are very visible from stage or platform (over 2 inches in diameter). These are best for stage. They do not require a holder and are fairly easy to perform.

The cheap/inexpensive, 1.5 inch, golf-ball sets are way too small also. They are not worth buying. An example is seen here:

http://www.magictricks.com/stage/golfballs.htm

They are too small, awkward to use, and are really just some kind of hard sponge material.

If I had to choose between multiplying sponge balls and this type of multiplying golf ball I would take the sponge balls!

There are dozens and dozens of references on the multiplying balls discussed right here on the Café. I’d check into just one of those references before investing in anything.

You will find that:
1. Ball size does make a difference in terms of stage presentation (the bigger the better and more visible).

2. You can perform a one-to-four (or one-to-five) ball production without a gimmick of any kind (special holder, sh**l, etc.). I perform a one-to-four, multi-colored, multiplying ball and need only four differently colored balls.

3. You don’t really need any specially made balls. Two-inch balls bought from a toy store work just fine. 2.5 inch wooden balls from a craft store work wonderfully once you know what you are doing.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
For getting started, the multiplying sponge balls work very well as do the Empire Multiplying Golf Balls. Also, you can pick up a decent wooden set from most magic shops. When beginning, I don't think it really matters what you use, but that you use it. As you progress, you will want to upgrade, train your fingers and your hands, and work out your own routine. Until then, find something simple and inexpensive and expand your library with good books and videos.
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
Well I I'll have a show in 3 months and I am a close up man, that will there will be 3 groups which I'll do show for them and in each group there'll be 70+ people. I want to add multiplying balls to that show and I'm buying some stuff and the cheapest I found are on http://www.magic.org and I wanted to buy MB from there too.

so - what means - hanging box?

and which to buy multiplying rubber golf balls or multiplying sponge balls from gosh?
(dont say fakini just choose from these 2 if you can it will hekp alot)

its 70 people so I won't be so far away from they too. what do you think?
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

I would go with the golf balls. But keep this in mind for next time, have your show ready and polished way before booking anything. It will help the name of magic as a whole. Smile
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
I'm ready for that show I knew about that from some time now. but I wanted to add this effect and I heard that it don't take a lot of time to learn it.
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
Obuch,

I believe Peter was refering only to your ball routine being ready for the show. I have been working on a multiplying ball routine almost exclusively for the past 2 years (as far as new material goes, normal practice goes without saying)and have worked on it in the past on and off. I also have a stack of books for reference. It can take a long time to get a routine that you are satisfied with and polished with. I work with 2 1/8" fakinis. I would say I am about 75% of the way there. I think the concern came from doing it in three months. It is possible though so don't be discouraged.

I have seen Peter perform in person and can verify that he looks extremely polished and practiced when he steps on stage and it is my belief that he only wanted you to look the same when you debuted your ball routine.

I am unsure what the hanging box means. As far as droppers go, if you are trying to add the routine with out costing you a lot of money you could create your own droppers for the time being or work out of pockets. You could also do a routine where you vanish the ball and reproduce from your jacket, pockets, or various other places. This could eliminate body steals. I was inspired for this by techniques by Wakeling and also Rooklyn just to name a few.

Best of luck,

Jon
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Starting with "sponge type" made learning the easiest for me.
(They do get dirty after awhile and the gimmick worn looking).
But they are not very expensive.

If you keep this in your show for awhile I would then go with
the Fakini's. (They are relatively expensive.)

I tried various “sets”. Wood are still too difficult for me to
handle for some reason.

The worst set I ever bought were "Manipulators from Arlen Studio".
They weren’t much less in cost than the Fakini’s and had chunks of
silicon missing where they were released from the mold.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Wow, thanks Jon. Methinks I am undeserving of public praise. Have we met before?
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
Peter,

I was only an audience member. I'll PM you the details.

Jon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying balls questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL