The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Original "Stars of Magic" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I recently ran across a set of the original "Stars of Magic pamphlets from 1945, in a red custom library binder, in very good shape. The seller is offering them for a very attractive price. My problem is that the set is incomplete. Missing are the Vernon "Malini" lesson, Royal Monte, and the Slydini "Lap as a Servante" lesson. If I buy this set, I would want to complete it. A (cursory) Google search has not turned up any of these for sale. I wonder if anyone here has any knowledge of how readily available these might be?
Thanks
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
The standard answer;

Check with H&R and Byron Walker.

If Clay Shevlin is still around he may have a lead, but I haven't been around for several months and I heard Mr. Shevlin was moving on to other interests

I have a couple of extra lessons but I'm sure they are not the ones you're looking for, I'll check when I get home.

If you wouldn't mind, could you give a ballpark figure on what the seller is asking for his incomplete set? I'm in a state of flux right now about whether to sell off most of my library, but because I've never been a seller I really am lost when it comes to pricing out the books I want to sell.

Dave
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
It's complete! The "Vernon on Malini" lesson had been put in the binder out of order. Looking through my Tannen edition of the book version, I discovered that the "Royal Monte" and "Art of using the Lap as a Servante" lessons were never published separately, but were only added to the series when the book version was published. I couldn't be happier, The photos in this set look so much better than I ever saw them before. I've been reading through it again and reminding myself of some wonderful Magic I haven't thought about in years.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
hanosek
View Profile
New user
Columbus OH
16 Posts

Profile of hanosek
Ron Allesi has a copy of "Lap as a Servante" on his auction website.
millste
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of millste
The stars of magic book by robbins is out of print by the way.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-03-11 11:08, hanosek wrote:

Richard Kaufman told me he had seen these also, which makes me wonder why the introduction to the collected book says specifically that they were added for the book. Is it possible that when they were first published as separate lessons they were considered to be separate from the "Stars" set? Do you have a link to Ron allessi's auction site?
Thanks!
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
hanosek
View Profile
New user
Columbus OH
16 Posts

Profile of hanosek
The website is: internationalmagicauction.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2008-02-27 12:50, Dave Egleston wrote:
I'm in a state of flux right now about whether to sell off most of my library, but because I've never been a seller I really am lost when it comes to pricing out the books I want to sell.

Dave

Dave,
That is a tough question. I usually check all the used book sites for pricing as well as Michael Canik's book (a little outdated) as well as what they are going for on Ebay. Of course you probably answered the question youself when you said to "check with Byron Walker". Byron has always helped me on book prices.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-03-20 06:03, DStachowiak wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-11 11:08, hanosek wrote:

Richard Kaufman told me he had seen these also, which makes me wonder why the introduction to the collected book says specifically that they were added for the book. Is it possible that when they were first published as separate lessons they were considered to be separate from the "Stars" set? Do you have a link to Ron allessi's auction site?
Thanks!
Don

Further examination of the two lessons in discussion has convinced me that while they were issued separately, they were NOT issued as part of the "Stars of Magic", but rather both were originally intended as the first lessons of their own series, and were only included in "Stars" when it was compiled into the single volume edition we are familiar with.

I am led to this conclusion by the following facts:

1) Neither "The Lap as a Servante" or "Royal Monte" bears the "Stars of Magic" logo, while every other lesson does.

2) Neither one of these lessons conforms to the "Series and Lesson" numbering plan of the "Stars of Magic". Instead, both are described as "Lesson 1" This leads me to believe they were both intended as the first lesson(s) of separate projects.

3) All of the original "Stars" lessons were photographed by George Karger, and edited by George Starke (in some cases with a co-editor credited) The two "added" lessons were photographed by Dr. Daley and there is no editor credit given.

I wonder if this was a project of Dr. Daley's, and possibly the reason it was never completed was due to his sudden death?
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-04-22 02:34, DStachowiak wrote:
All of the original "Stars" lessons were photographed by George Karger, and edited by George Starke (in some cases with a co-editor credited) The two "added" lessons were photographed by Dr. Daley and there is no editor credit given.

I wonder if this was a project of Dr. Daley's, and possibly the reason it was never completed was due to his sudden death?

Doh! I had the answer the whole time. The first chapter of Lewis Ganson's "The Magic of Slydini" is basically a reprint of this lesson, and the very first paragraph explains that, indeed, this was a project of Dr Daley's, and was never completed because of his death. Just goes to show there's no substitute for actually doing the research!
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Original "Stars of Magic" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL