The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Draft 2 - for critique (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mfeld
View Profile
Elite user
San Francisco
457 Posts

Profile of mfeld
Hey All....

I posted a version of my gadabout coins a little while back...

Taking into consideration comments about unclear patter, a lack of directing the spectators focus and some less than clean transfers, I present to you: DRAFT #2.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w5QnIFWxIpU

Any further critique is always welcome... also if you have any suggestions for vanishing the 3 coins at the end (really 2 coins and a shell) more immediately, I'm all ears. Bill Citino's MDGOT routine has inspired me to believe that this kind of hallucinogenic vanish is possible... now I just have to figure out how.
Michael Feldman
www.michaelfeldman.com

Or follow me on Twitter - @magicianmike
And Instagram - @magicianmichaelfeldman

Check out my newest book with Ryan Plunkett: A New Angle
https://www.ryancplunkett.com/project/anewangle
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Hey Mike,
Glad to hear that Money Doesn't Grow on Trees... was an inspiration for you. I'm at work right now so I can't look on youtube but I'll def check out the video when I get home. I'm sure the routine looks great! I'll def think about a way to vanish all the coins. Did you think about using Latta's sequence from A Trick with 3 Coins? Slighty modified of course to vanish all 3 instead of just 2. Don't know if that'd work or not but it was just something I thought up now. Good luck with everything, I'll let ya know if I can think of anything though.

-Bill
Mithrandir
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island N.Y.
111 Posts

Profile of Mithrandir
Hi Mike , looks good, one small tip... I heard the 3 coins dump (even on the video), so if you can figure a way to quiet the clink, it will help Smile
illushade
View Profile
New user
China
67 Posts

Profile of illushade
LOVE it. I also do this Kainoa's version of the routine. It is really a nice idea to add Geoff's unnest move to make all the magic happening at the fingertips. I also have a problem with the last vanish. Now, I am using the healclip steal at the end and find it to be quite effective. Cuz I think all the magic happpened at the finger tips. It would be nice to not to change the grip and take the last coin from the closed hand.
Magic is my life. My life is magic.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
It was good but it lacked energy in my opinion. Everyone has different performing styles. I loved the trick and the mechanics. It's VERY rehearsed and I can tell you put a lot of work into it. I'm also assuming that there isn't much excitement in the performance because you're working for a camera instead of an audience. Excellent job!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Michael, this is definately an improvement over the first one. There is still a lot of phases going on, but there is much less confusion. I was able to stay with you during the routine. I liked the taking away two and still having three phase, that was one of the highlights, imho. As I wrote in the last thread, I think one of the keys to Gadabout coins is the spectator conditioning from repetitious phases which setup the vanish. With the extra phases you use, you lose the audience conditioning, which lessens the final vanish. That said, I enjoyed the magic throughout the routine.
Click to visit:
mfeld
View Profile
Elite user
San Francisco
457 Posts

Profile of mfeld
Thanks guys for the help.

twistedace -- I agree. I tend to work off the energy of an audience, so without one I have a hard time with energy... I'm workin on that.

Illushade -- yeah, I want to get that last vanish at the fingertips, but I'm not sure how yet.

dan -- I know the final vanish loses a little something without the solid conditioning, but much rock songs go verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus.... I really felt gadabout needed a bridge to break things up a little bit and give the routine some variation.

If anyone has comments on how to strengthen the conditioning with the bridge there, or how to vanish the last coins without closing the hand... I'm all ears. (or any other comments)
Michael Feldman
www.michaelfeldman.com

Or follow me on Twitter - @magicianmike
And Instagram - @magicianmichaelfeldman

Check out my newest book with Ryan Plunkett: A New Angle
https://www.ryancplunkett.com/project/anewangle
Gary Yin
View Profile
Elite user
Sabah, Malaysia
449 Posts

Profile of Gary Yin
How bout mimic holding some coins in your hand for the last part? by making your left hand look the same like the part before where you show 1 coin. How to get there I don't know. At least it got something similar than closed fist.
yrag89@hotmail.com (msn msgr)

Gary Justin Yin.
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
548 Posts

Profile of travisb
How about rather than a bridge have an intro. "Zero times zero ought to be zero but in this case it's one," kind of a thing to produce the coins. When you have two coins then two plus one equals two using that sequence where the second coin vanishes as the "third" is produced (Dan Watkins does it, and maybe it's a Troy Hooser idea?). Then--after whatever mathematical procedure you use to get the third coin--you show that three minus one equals three and you're in the Gadabout sequence. This is repeated a couple of times and then do the vanish (because, "wait... zero times zero really is zero" or something).

-Travis
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Draft 2 - for critique (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL