The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Did I say "pyramid?" What I meant was "cube." (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
The subject heading is the punchline from a Bizarro cartoon of several years back, in which the builder and the queen for whom he'd just completed a tomb were having a conversation. Evidently, there were some unspoken expectations on the part of the client -- similar to those I encountered.

I was hired to build a simple wrought iron gate for a client. Here in SoCal, these gates typically have either solid steel panels (with zero visibility) or perforated privacy mesh (with 50% visibility) attached on the back. My contract, in response to the client's directive, specified solid steel backing of 26 gauge steel. Completing the painting, I collected a progress payment and left.

Upon returning a week later for touch-up painting and final payment, the client -- a sweet little old grandmotherly type -- expressed her unhappiness with my work. She refused to finish paying for the job, saying (and this is an EXACT quote):

"I wanted something you could look through, but not see through."

Oh, how I'm gonna miss contracting! Smile

Leland

(Yeah, I could slap a lien on her property, and yes, I'm pretty certain that a court of competent jurisdiction would grant my motion to perfect that lien...in another 6-9 months. For the dough involved, it's just not worth the hassle.)
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
"So will the actual Stonehenge be identical to this one?"

Paraphrased from my memory of Spinal Tap
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Well heck Leland! You should have known that if you made the gate to swing both ways you wouldn't have had this problem! Smile
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
You don't offer one way mirror gates?

Shame on you!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
You should have insisted that it WAS see through, and that the lady needed to have her cataracts looked at.

(Day 10)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Get her a pair of x-ray specs.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Maybe she heard you are a magician...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Did I say "pyramid?" What I meant was "cube." (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL