The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cruise Control & Scezuan Sampler Owners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Always annoyed me that these things are in Dollars. Anyone considered printing up a small run of uk specific ones? If you own it, I see no copyright issue in creating your own local specific versions. Smallest batch a printer will do is 25 - anyone interested in going in with me?

of course, I'll check to make sure you're a legitimate owner.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe you're creating a derivative work, which is not allowed under the Berne Convention (to which UK is a signatory).

If you're interested in doing what you describe, you should write Lee Earle as lee@lee-earle.com to ask permission.

Curt
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Really? interesting!

I'm sure arnon will concur with you.

disappointed.
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Quote:
On 2008-03-19 01:42, cfrye wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe you're creating a derivative work, which is not allowed under the Berne Convention (to which UK is a signatory).
Curt

I believe that would only apply if you were selling it to others. As the purchaser of a magic effect you own the performance rights and have every right to remake the props and adapt them for your own use.

Szechuan Sampler was published in Syzygy, so any purchaser of that issue or the bound volume would also have the right to make it up for their own use, with any changes they see fit.

I don't see any problem with what you suggest as long as you would not be selling the sets at a profit. If you were simply splitting the printing costs with 24 other legitimate owners of each effect - I'd say it should be fine. It would be polite to ask permission, though. Larry Becker has a reputation for being very accomodating with that sort of thing and I suspect he would give permission anyway.

If you just had one set made for yourself there would be no issue whatsoever.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
If you are making it for your own use then there's no problem. However, making a bunch of them then trying to sell some would be a no-no.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Thanks folks, I'm certainly not interested in selling them, but am interested in splitting the cost with people that I can verify as being legitimate owners of the original product.

fair?
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
It's not a question of fair, it's a question of law. You should consult an attorney or go the easy route and get permission from Lee and Larry.

Curt
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
I have emailed them in the past many times, and not received a response. I contacted them first thing this morning on this matter, and am not sure whether I will receive a response. Hopefully I will.

I believe it's fair. I believe it's lawful. And I believe they will grant permission.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2008-03-19 10:30, lamystique wrote:
I have emailed them in the past many times, and not received a response. I contacted them first thing this morning on this matter, and am not sure whether I will receive a response. Hopefully I will.

I believe it's fair. I believe it's lawful. And I believe they will grant permission.

ok then ... it's a go!! Smile

John
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Does anyone have a number for the mentalism unlimited empire?
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Regarding the legality of what you are considering, in the US it IS legal to make up a version for your own use. It is also legal to offer for others to split the cost of say 25 copies of said version between 25 people. But no more than one copy per person and for nothing more than the cost of the printing. I would say that you are right on the edge, but what you propose is legal within the US. As for the UK, I have no idea.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
I have emailed, and received no reply. does anyone ever receive a reply from these folks? anyway, I'm just going to do it. if anyone wants one, let me know, so I can verify if you are a legitimate owner. at the minute, the printing is gonna cost me 75 pounds sterling (i'm currently in uk). if people come in with me, it'll work out cheap.
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
I have corresponded with these "legends of mentalism" on many occasions and have always received the courtesy of a reply.

Suggest you take the essence of their brilliant creativity and re-work it with some judicious "cut and pasting" to your own needs.

Hennessey
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
For the sake of posterity, just wanted to let you all know that lee gave me permission via email.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cruise Control & Scezuan Sampler Owners (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL