The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New David Regal Book (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of mayniac
I got this book, along with some other awesome books this Christmas and it is WONDERFUL! I almost feel guilty looking at such good, workable material! There is SO much good stuff in here that I'm not sure what to start practicing first! Always a good problem. to have of course Smile

Congratulations David on creating this modern classic.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Just catching up on this one. I've been out for a while.....looks like I might have to pick this up.

Can anyone tell me what kind of pre-existing tricks/decks are assumed to have laying around in order to use the material in the book? Not wanting to know methods, just what level of "stuff laying around" is expected? Thanks!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
Is this still in print? Every dealer I've checked is sold out.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Check with the author, he probably has a few left...

http://www.davidregal.com
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
I *think* I got the last one from Elmwood magic, but it's still processing, so I'm hoping that "only 1 copy left" when I ordered was accurate.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2009-04-09 06:35, magicmerlz wrote:
Hi

I was led to believe (from various posts) that this was only ever going to be available from David himself via his web site - which is why I ordered from him, with shipping costs it came to $105. I now find that Alakazam (UK & US dealer) are selling this for £49.95 ($75 approx).

Very annoying!

Regards to all

Matt

Regal's material is top notch. I finally got my hands on Star Quality at a great price. I don't mind that I paid more for the book then it is now for several reasons.

1. It is a big, book of magic. Well worth a $100 price tag.
2. The material is great, and I like supporting a magician who releases such a work.
3. If my house gets broken into, I know what I will use as a weapon, it is one Heavy book.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
To answer my own question (as I ended up buying the book), there are not many effects that require a "trick deck." David is very practical and has suggestions for almost everything. I love the way he anticipates all possible responses from the spectator and provides patter suggestions for every scenario.

I will add my applause to the already deafening ovation given in this thread. Great book, great magic, and a great deal! I'm very pleased with my purchase and can't wait to try out some of these effects!

This was my first David Regal book, but I'm sure it will not be my last....
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
"Simpatico." I saw David do this at a lecture in Sacramento. Literally worth the price of the book, and has genetic origins with Harry Lorayne. Give this some presentational oxygen, and you will KILL.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
I was torn between this and the Art of Astonishment as my first book purchase since before that, I was just buying one off tricks, DVD's, etc.

I went with Approaching Magic since it was more recent and to be honest, I kind of regret it.

While I admire and respect Regal's ideas and creativity, there was just something about it I couldn't get into. I can't really explain it. Maybe it was because some of the ideas were just too formal for me. And too big for the type of effects I enjoy doing. Which, if anything, is a compliment to Regal. It's just not for me.

Admittedly, I'm a newbie to the art..And enjoy performing mainly for family and friends (and myself). So what do I know! I'm sure those with more experience will really find a lot of great work here so take what I'm saying for what it is.

Anyway, given all the above, I went ahead and purchased the Art of Astonishment set afterwards and though I still have to really dive deep into it, I can already tell it's more up my alley. The fun, playful, yet simple approach.

So at the end of the day, it's really about style. Like great works of fiction, you get more enjoyment reading the authors that suit your style. I think this is the case with magic too. No ding on Regal as he is obviously super talented and creative and many appreciate the style that he brings to the table.

I, however, should have known more about his work beforehand to determine if his style suits my sensibility.

So it's not you, it's me!
gostone23
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of gostone23
Wow, I thought I was the only one. I'm sure there is a ton of great stuff in this book but I couldn't get into it. It sits on my shelf for now. I'll crack it open in a few months and give it another go but stylistically it didn't work for me either. I was let down because I let the reviews pump me up too much about it.

Please don't misunderstand me ... I'm not knocking the book because obviously the reviews are great. Just a case of a bad fit I guess.

-Robert
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I love the book, but I can understand that books sometimes don't fit. There is one magic book in my library that I simply can't get into but, I have never sold a magic book, so I guess it stays on the shelf. The book is Simply Harkey and it never clicked with me or I with it. C'est la vie.

That said, Approaching Magic is packed full of some of the most important essays on theory and presentation. David Regal has the unique perspective that most magicians would kill for, namely, he is in the big leagues of show business. IMHO the magic in the Regal book is also very strong and I respectfully disagree with an earlier post that stated most of the magic is best suited for formal performances such as The Castle. Yes, there are effects like that, but there is an abundance of everyday workers too.

Best,
Vlad

PS: No disrespect intended to David Harkey. He is a fine magician. Some of the best effects in Apocalypse are Harkey effects, but, I just couldn't get into this book. I wish I could; I really want to like it.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On May 26, 2008, Socalesq wrote:
By the way, one of my favorite card effects of all time is still his Prophecy Pack. It is so subtly structured that it has never failed me. And now it serves double duty for a couple of the Approaching Magic tricks. I highly recommend this book.

Which are the two routines in Approaching Magic that are based on the Prophecy Pack?

Are they possibly:
- Card At Any Number (page 203)
- Simpatico (page 265)

Or is it some other different trick in the book that is based on the Prophecy Pack?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New David Regal Book (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL