The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » PANDORA STRIKES BACK!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Profile of christiancagigal
This is the site for the San Francisco Chronicle. Scroll down a bit and you'll see a little picture of your's truly.
http://www.sfgate.com/

Then here's the aritcle
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... JVIO1J.DTL

And here's the photo
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/ar ... 1J.DTL&o=0

Also just found out that Pandora was made a special pick for the SF Weekly too!
http://sfweekly.com/search/events.php?oid=936161

It's nice to know that all the blood, sweat, tears, stress, panick attacks and irritable bowl syndrome weren't all for nothing.

Thanks guys!
C
"Besides the known and the unknown, what else is there?"-Harold Pinter
www.christiancagigal.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
DUDE! I just saw your pix in the SF Weekly- that's so awesome! You're going to sell out every show now! CONGRATS!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I get nothing with the links Smile
Oh... I got one by cutting and pasting Smile
My Bad.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Hmmmmm
Don't know why the links don't transfer over.
Well here it is copy and pasted from the Chronicle website.

'The Pandora Experiment': Magician's world

Reyhan Harmanci

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Chris Cagigal has been interested in magic since he was 10 or 11 years old - old enough to know that he could get positive attention even while remaining a self-described nerd. He scoured bookstores and libraries for magic books, and stayed up late at night teaching himself sleight-of-hand maneuvers. But it's been hard finding a place in the field.

"The main venues for magicians are parties, corporate events, Vegas and cruise ships," Cagigal says. "I have friends who do them, and do them really well, and I respect them and they're really excellent at those things, but (those venues) are not for me."

Now, Cagigal feels he has hit his stride as the originator of the innovative magic show "The Pandora Experiment," now in its third run in a bigger space. His work lies somewhere between traditional magic practices and the psychologically driven mentalists, whose effect is very close to mind reading.

"I got into art and theater in college, and took some time away from performing to not be a performer, but I always knew I'd come back to it." Eventually, he says, "it became about something else for me. It wasn't about leveling out social anxieties. It became about the unknown and being OK with the unknown."

"The Pandora Experiment" is broken into two 45-minute acts. Cagigal is loath to say much about it - a magician, after all, never reveals his secrets - but he does offer a tease.

"There's a box that knows your secret wish, a toy car that knows what you're thinking, and a toy doll that communicates with the audience using quotes from Shakespeare."

Cagigal inherited the doll in question from a grand uncle, a Spaniard who had fought as a rebel in the Spanish Civil War. He says weaving personal history into "The Pandora Experiment" is important to him. "I've always loved storytelling. It harkens back to good old days, shaman, not to say I'm on the level of shaman, but also sitting around the campfire."

In the end, however, Cagigal says that what sets him apart from some of the showier contemporary magicians (think Criss Angel and David Blaine) is his emphasis on audience participation and connection.

"It's like, can I bring people in to a fantasy world for a while," he says. "The more we hurtle forward today, the more we desperately need that - to be in a magical world."

8 p.m. Fri.-Sat. Through April 12. $12-$20 sliding scale. Exit Theater, 156 Eddy St., S.F. (415) 931-1094. http://www.sffringe.org.

- Reyhan Harmanci, rharmanci@sfchronicle.com

This article appeared on page G - 20 of the San Francisco Chronicle
www.christiancagigal.com
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Hey Christian--got tickets for next weekend!
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
If this show ever plays in your area get your tickets fast, he sold out almost every show way in advance, and no doubt will again when he mounts the program again.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I treated myself to again seeing Christian’s show “The Pandora Experiment” on closing night last Saturday.

I’d seen the show during his earlier run in the smaller room, and found it even more polished and winning in this larger fifty-seat theatre. Christian was smooth and comfortable, and built an intimate and winning rapport with our larger crowd.

My colleague David was impressed with the undercurrent and build of energy and theme that ran throughout the experiments, and how neatly the magic came full circle, everything tied into neat crimson bows by evening’s end.

It is rare and always a joy to see good magic presented live in a theatrical setting, and the audience ate it up. “Pandora Experiment” breaks the mold of the take-a-card-any-card magician and the ordinary-catsup-bottle-in-my-paper-bag style of magic.

I think many were newly won over as magic enthusiasts, and a few left believing that Christian truly had magical-powers over their minds and his arcane objects.

The great news for Christian -and for magic as a genre- is that he’s going to be taking the show to a festival in the East, and then it will have another local run later in the Summer.

If this show ever plays in your area get your tickets fast, he sold out almost every show way in advance, and no doubt will again when he mounts the program again.

Christian has an energetic personality, and though his casual demeanor wins over the house, he can also muster up a sincerity which makes his stories totally credible, taking everyone on a ride though his personal twilight-zone.

Just as he’s been inspired by the pros of the past and storytelling-magic masters like Chelman, I hope the young magicians seeing Christian’s show will be inspired to bring more to their magic than cool moves and fancy footwork.

Magically,
Walt
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

I would like to kindly thank Mr. Anthony for supporting my show yet a second time and this time bringing his student Mr. Miller. His very full and generous review of my show is humbly accepted. Thank you Mr. Anthony.

Everybodies kind words and encouragement here on the Café and other forums, for me and The Pandora Experiment have been greatly appreciated and enjoyed.

Thank you to all,
Christian Cagigal
SF Bay Area
www.christiancagigal.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » PANDORA STRIKES BACK!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL