The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » IBM Symbol usage? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Can the IBM Symbol be used on cards, web pages, etc.?

I could not find it on the portal site.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It was hard to find, but when I did a search for the word "logo" it came up.

Here is what they say:

"Please remember... the I.B.M. Logo may be used ONLY on official I.B.M. Ring Publications and Ring letterhead/envelopes and in accordance with the I.B.M. Constitution and ByLaws. It may not be used on personal business cards."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
But...they allow you to put the IBM logo on the websites that you create with them...So if they officially sanction the putting on of the Logo on a website, then I don't see how it would be wrong to put one on a person's website who is a member in good standing.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Finally found this in the current By-Laws on the web portal:

"Article XI USE OF NAME AND EMBLEM
Sec. 1. The privilege of using the name “International Brotherhood of Magicians,” the initials, “I. B. M.,” or the Emblem of the International Brotherhood of Magicians, on stationery or in any other manner, is strictly prohibited except by active members of this organization, Rings, or Auxiliaries affiliated therewith, and then subject to approval of this organization."

So it seems that you may can, but the question that is left open by this wording is "and then subject to approval of this organization.".

Do you think that it means any usage of the symbol must be forwarded to IBM HQ for approval for anything you plan to use it on?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Technically, yes. However several years ago I called IBM HQ and I asked this question and they said "yes."

Sometimes asking is all it takes.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I think their main issue is controlling how it's used. You're not allowed to promote your position as an officer in IBM, and if you want business cards, IBM (at least they used to) has business cards available in the approved color, size and format.

I've had to fight this in my own job where people stretch, colorize, and otherwise distort a perfectly good logo simply because they don't know what they're doing. As far as brand recognition goes, it really makes a mess of things.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I have already seen design victims with stretched and distorted IBM logos on business cards. So I can fully understand that they would like to see their logo before it hits the public.

I made a special IBM Bicycle card for an IBM convention last year, inofficially. The responsible fellows were surprised but loved the cards. Here you can have a look.

Click here to view attached image.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Those are beautiful. The IBM should see about getting them produced. With due credit of course to both US Playing cards and you, that is if US Playing cards would allow it.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
In my day job my company is a distributor for GE products.

They have the usage info of the symbol (affectionately called the meatball) readily spelled out as far as size, location, and what the GE symbol can be put on in regards to use on letters, cards, websites, vans and the like. This eliminated the stretching and distorting that you can see on logos.

Someone at HQ should put this information on the web portal.

I am most interested on using it on my website to proudly represent that I am a member. I will contact HQ and ask for approval with evidence of exactly how it is used.

I will also contact Scott Wells who is on the IBM Forum Staff on The Magic Café.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » IBM Symbol usage? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL