The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stupid question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Okay, I admit I live out in the middle of no where but don't they still make omlette pans? In the bay area they were all over but I've not found one here. Did they stop making 'em?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Have you tried a restaurant supply house?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Nope...I'll have to check if one is in Reno. I'm really surprised by this, I ended up getting a small skillet but it doesn't cut it.

Hey, I saw a real cattle drive today! Kind of neat watching them work the horses, I wanted to help 'em escape but didn't know howto do it.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Of course they're still making them. But my question is: Why did the skillet not cut it?

Pans are one of my obsessions. I think about pans like the luggage guy in Joe Versus the Volcano thinks about luggage.

At home we switched to cast iron exclusively about two years ago--and are THRILLED with the results. If we had had a gas range, I would have chosen forged iron.

There is virtually no down side to getting away from all that high-tech coated crap, except one: the iron stuff is heavy, which means omelette making might be tough on the wrist. But you can handle it, I'd bet.

But I don't want to insult you with sermons about the greatness of cast iron if you've already ruled it out because your small skillet is cast iron and just doesn't cut it.

As far as where to buy cast iron: Walmart has is, and if yo'ure totally desperate you can buy it at Cracker Barrel. Just don't eat there first.

If I had a gas range, I'd buy something like this:

http://www.manufactum.com/Produkt/187253......Pan.html

But I'd buy it locally from a restaurant supply house, like Michael suggested.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
If you are talking about the hinged pan, for the omelette challenged, get to a Target Store. Costs approx. $15.00.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The angle on the omlete pan is less than a sauce pan.

I want to make an announcement. I also exclusively, except when using high acid foods like tomatoes and with omletes, use cast iron. Here are the pros in my opinion (and note I think you need to cook with them too, Lodge makes the best in my opinion)

Pros
They heat up better than other pans and retain heat better.
They brown meat far better than coated pans
They don't put off fumes that can kill birds like teflon does.
They can be used on the stove top or in the oven.
They don't warp
If you care for them properly they are as slick as any coated pan.
They last for years and years and often are passed from one generation to the next and next and next.
Use 'em at home, use 'em in the field, use dirt to clean it and rinse out and you are ready to rock.
They give you a great sense of pride if you care for them, which is easy, and look at their shiney black goodness.

Cons
They are very heavy compared to the wuss pans most use
The handle gets very hot and the best pan holders for heat are slippery and can cause problems when trying to pour grease out or something like that.

Favorite cast iron true story: Macy's San Francisco around 15 years ago. In the basement they find about seven large boxes of high quality cast iron cookware from a couple decades earlier. The sets consist of the two most popular size frying pans, a griddle, a Dutch Oven, a round pot with lid used to make beans etc, and a couple small low fry pans. I would have paid $150 to $200 for these. The price to get them outa the store? $20.00. My boss back then bought two sets, one for himself and one for his mom. Heavy legit cast iron, I would have loved to had a shot at 'em.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Plus, cast iron hasn't been linked to Alzheimer's or dead canaries.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Crepe pans (8') work nicely for the task.
POOF!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
We have a couple of Calphalon omelette pans and love them. Expensive, but they last forever.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Good pans and knives are worth the money, I've German knives that have always cut through anything cleanly. Stony, I checked your link and those pans look great!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Actually, speaking of cast iron, Donna has an ancient Dutch oven (a cast iron pot w/ a lid) that she uses now and then for stews and such. It goes right from stovetop to oven. Oh, man, that stuff is to die for!

As far as good knives, she also has an old chef's knife made of some kind of carbon steel. The first time I used it, years and years ago, I was cutting lemons into paper-thin slices to put into water goblets. I couldn't believe it. The only downside is that you have to dry the knife immediately after washing it or it rusts.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stupid question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL