The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Cheek to Cheek color problems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
I won't reveal the secret to those not in the know on this forum, but I'll say what I have to to ask my question...

I recently purchased a cheek to cheek deck and was rather surprised to see that one portion of the deck is clearly brand new, but the other (more important) portion seems to be discolored and looks different from the other section. The special portion seems to also have air pockets in the cards. Does this really matter? I have sent off an email to the distributer that I got the deck from and he has yet to get back to me (though I have no reason to expect he won't reply). What do you guys think about this?
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
I have an older deck with this problem, but recently purchased a Bicycle deck without this problem.
ChrisK
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of ChrisK
Bikes and the "special portions" aren't manufactured by the same company. They basically use brand new Bikes and brand new "special portions" and these are almost always not the same quality or printed on the same stock as normal Bicycle cards - Just feel them! You'd be able to tell.

ChrisK.
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
But should I ask for a refund or just try to use them and hope they wear evenly over time...I mean I don't want people to see the difference in teh two halves of the decl as it sits on the table...I had thought I'll pull off B'wave from the top as the opener for this deck.

Ideas?
ChrisK
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of ChrisK
I doubt they'll wear evenly over time - I made my own cheek to cheek deck a few years back with both portions brand new but still encountered this problem. As I've mentioned before, half the deck is always going to look a little different because they're printed by separate suppliers and not on the same stock of cards! Perhaps they don't use the same varnish or gloss or something along those lines...

As for the refund, you could try I guess, or have them send another one to you but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

In any case, I've been using mine forever, and most people don't spot the difference between the halves. After all, they're going to be in the card case, and the next thing they'll see is the backs of your "problem portion" and not from the other. Shouldn't be a problem.

ChrisK.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Loyaleagle

I have a deck and seems fine to me. (I am picky about faulty products, so I would tell you if it wasn't any good)

However, To be honest, If you have the time and you know a little basic sleight of hand, then I would advise you to perhaps consider learning a Triumph routine. They are fairly easy to do and can be done in the hands or on a table. Also it uses a normal deck so you can go into other routines after.

Don't get me wrong I love Gaffs, but if you can do a gaffless version that still plays strong then it is definatly somthing to consider.

Sorry if you feel that these comments have gone a little of point, however I just wanted to mention the options.

All The Best
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Well thanks for the input guys. I think you may be right that cheek to cheek may just inherently have a discoloration problem unless the cards are carefully crafted as a single product. I guess misdirection is the best medicine here.

In terms of Triumph...I'm planning to learn it some time, but right now learning it would mean purchasing a book and I just spent a bunch of money on magic. Also, I'm just starting to learn slights (hence my reliance on gaff decks) and it's going to be a while before they are really performable.
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Loyaleagle- a fun, gaffed Triumph like trick is Chaos 2. Very easy to do. Of course, it would require spending more money. Just something to put in your future consideration.

John
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Oh, that's a nice one jonnyboy...thanks!
ChrisK
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of ChrisK
Cheek to cheek was the basis for my learning Triumph effects of all sorts. Triumph has now become one of my favourite routines - there're so many ways you can do it. Hope it goes that way for you as well.
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
For anyone interested in how the vendor responded, he basically confirmed what you guys have already said, saying that, while he WILL do a refund if I want one, he says it's all Bicycle's fault and that they are just terrible at making 2nd run gaffs that match the normal playing cards. He also suggested that with time and handling the cards should start to look more or less the same from the side (which is the option I'm choosing).

On a secondary note, he has offered to give me a replacement card in a Mirage deck I purchased from him that had one of the "normal" cards match the "force" card. He's very accommodating, no? I won't post his store's info, but PM me if you really need to know.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
The key is to get a deck MADE BY BICYCLE - yes they DO make the special portions of the decks. I have spoke with Bicycle when I opened my magic store to discuss custom decks. They now do gaffed runs back to back to assure same press and color match inks. Since then, I prefer to offer US Playing Card Company decks when possible. There is a link to the store off of my blog if you want to check out the USPCC made decks. Many stores will specifiy if they are a USPCC made deck.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Also - keep in mind, many counterfiet Bicycle decks are made in china that are bicycle design, but not USPCC quality. Ive seen a few of these fake decks and they do feel thinner and cheaper.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
The dealer specifically said the DB cards were made by USPCC. He says he's been dealing with the low quality of their gaffed products for years. I assume their sealed decks like stripper and such are good, but apparently when they make cards that you are supposed to mix with regular cards, they just can't get them to match up.

Hopefully what you have found out from them is new and their newer runs will include less irregular cards. Maybe the deck from my dealer is old stock and new orders won't have the same issues.

Also, I'm pretty sure this isn't a fake...
Solitaire
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Solitaire
@loyaleagle:
Please keep us posted if your cards really wear in evenly (I doubt it because I have a 18 year old pocket tarot deck which aged differently on the backs - half of the cards faded to a deep purpe and half of the cards faded to blue - and even the printer cannot explain why, although the cards were printed on the same card stock).

Although the discolouring is very noticeable, only one querent in all the years wanted to know if the cards are different, all the others did not seem to bother or not to notice.
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
Loyaleagle,
Of course, if you buy a good quality DB deck, you could use it to improve your Cheek to Cheek Deck.

OTOH, after I learned a good Triumph routine, I stopped using Cheek to Cheek. Triumph offers a certain fleibility and impromptu usage that Cheek to Cheek doesn't.
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Yeah I'm working on the push through shuffle now so I can do a borrowed triumph routine (some long day in the future).

I haven't had anybody notice the discoloration. On reason is that I do the mix up immediately and then do a spread and have them turn over a face up card...that doesn't ever show the edges.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
You could also buy a regular deck and make your own gaffs to ensure that they are all equal USPCC quality.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Cheek to Cheek color problems (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL