The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best tool for the job? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
I have a first impressions pad and was wondering what the best writing tool is best= Pen or pencil, to get a good imp.
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
I can help here...

There's any easy test you can do to find the answer the this question.

Find a pen, find a pencil, then make a variety of marks on the pad with each writing implement. This should give you a pretty good idea.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think I'm ill...

I agree with kriskraze...i would also add some "real work" - try different types of both pen and pencil...
I've asked to be banned
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
I find, the only way is NOT to try writing yourself, but to have others write. when we write ourselves, we are either going too light to TEST the impression device, or too hard to convince ourselves that it's a great device.

if you are in uk, go to argos, buy something, and pick up a few of their tiny pens. they're the best. then have a friend write something down, ask them for their number or something (and check the quality).
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
He already has the impression pad.

He's asking what is better to use... a pen or pencil.
JustinCredible28
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
217 Posts

Profile of JustinCredible28
Pens & pencils aside- I would say the best ''tool'' for any job is your mind.
"a distorted reality is now a necessity to be free. . ." -- Elliott Smith

http://www.NWFortuneTeller.com
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I have been using this for some time now and when I do trade shows, I allways use a man and a woman like this. I begin by saying, Sir can I borrow your pen and as he hands it to me, I say no not yet, please ask the woman to give you 5 or 6 names.... then I do the living/dead test. this has never failed, men write harder than woman and a pen never fails with an impression and more people involved , gets more people talking about you and that gets bookings . A side note, I have tried this a few times, only when I feel it's the guy/gal who can get me booked, I will ask for the folded paper back and show it around, normaly I ask the speccy to do this, but when I do it I jot down my name and number and hand it back, then later if I happen to run into that person, I drop hints that I am available. I do this in a very subtle way as I do not want to be tacky or desperate , Do not assume what they think when it comes to gettng booked. this is how I make a living.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Whichever you use, make sure it's SHORT - a top-tip from Scott Creasey himself...
[
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Dave wrote:
Quote:
... a pen never fails with an impression ...

I have not found this to be true in my experience. The problem is that there are many different types of pen technology. A ballpoint pen is pretty reliable for impressions, but not so others. My favourite/everyday pen (i.e., the one dave would get if he borrowed mine) is a Pilot RazorPoint, which uses a liquid ink, feeding it through a fine plastic point. It requires very little pressure to write, so will only "impress" the most sensitive devices.

If you want consistent reliability, use a fairly hard pencil (not HB, for example); the nature of the lead requires some pressure in order to produce a legible line.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
DD makes a good point here, Gel writers also do not work well, I make wood pens and custom pens as a hobby and have tried every type out today and yes they all work, but some are better than others, old fashioned ink works the best.
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
What is the best impression device?
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2008-04-03 21:06, Daniel NIcholls wrote:
What is the best impression device?

Search the Café there are hundreds of threads and in depth analysis on IP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best tool for the job? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL