The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Johnny Thompson Added To The Jermay workshop! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Honestly I will not derail this thread anymore if that is what I'm doing. (Please note that I did not Bash CA as some have stated)
Instead I will tell the truth as to my feelings about the topic.

It's a GREAT idea to get together with those who are the tops in their field. $1500 is not that much money for one on one involvement with those who set your standards. For years I've delved into Banacheks material and I've learned a lot. Meeting him in Hollywood also inspired me to work harder and try to achieve to the best of my abilities. I'm pretty sure that if this is your "Bag" then this is a very good opportunity.

I also believe that an ad on the Café would help in a financial and ethical way.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
No, we never highered actors to play the part however all money was returned at the end after camera's were turned off. People who bet were not allowed to leave the area. I can't go into specifics as to what they were or were not told if they tried to.

These were people on the street that showed up as most of our shoots were that season. Things were so much easier when Criss wasn't being mobbed by thousands.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I did not see the show; I stopped watching the series when effect exposure began.

As for exposing something like the Three Shell game, Three Card Monte, and other gambling cons, fine, do it, but do it on a show geared to that theme, GREATEST CONS EXPOSED, or something along those lines, not on a magic show. Exposing something like that on a magic show does not educate the general public, it educates the portion of the public that have an interest in magic. And it does ruin it for the performers that may perform this material in their acts. It does not, however, address the issue to the audience that might be interested in gambling and gaming. Saying otherwise is either not understanding the core demographics of the magic show audience, or an attempt at justifying the activity. This, of course, is my opinion on this type of activity, and not the specifics of this case as I do not know them from other than the comments made here.

In my opinion, Johnny Thompson is a brilliant performer and thinker. I had the pleasure of seeing him lecture and perform just a few weeks ago. I’ve seen him do this many times and always enjoy it and learn something. He has always come across as open, friendly, and sharing. Getting to spend some time with him in private, or even with a small group would be a wonderful thing. Those attending the workshop should value and take advantage of the opportunity.

Tony Iacoviello
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
They don't use shells anymore
watch
this guy will get the money

ps. will we ever stop whining about exposure?
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Hey if you really care about the three shell game go learn for school of scoundrels. They'll never guess where the pea is.

Why are mentalists so bothered about which pea the shell is under all of a sudden??
Bar10dr
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Bar10dr
The line up for this event does sound great. I will not be going though because the event is sponsored by Penguin Magic. I think the fact that all these great magicians and mentalists are working for a Penguin convention is worse than any exposure.
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Quote:
On 2008-04-06 03:23, J Hanes wrote:
They don't use shells anymore
watch
this guy will get the money

ps. will we ever stop whining about exposure?

I don't think we ever will. it's sad, but true. the people don't understand that by constantly whining about it, we're simply bringing more attention to it. it'll never stop happening and people should just accept it for what it is and try to come up with solutions rather than constantly talking and complaining about it. not that I'm for exposure, just that I'm not going to complain unless my complaints have some merit behind them and I propose one or two solutions.
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Quote:
On 2008-04-11 21:54, Bar10dr wrote:
The line up for this event does sound great. I will not be going though because the event is sponsored by Penguin Magic. I think the fact that all these great magicians and mentalists are working for a Penguin convention is worse than any exposure.

Another thing... you can be against penguin or against magicmakers as much as you want. However, they DO sometimes get ahold of the best material and by not purchasing from them, you're missing out on this material. For example, Simon Lovell's work is EXCLUSIVE to magicmakers. The stuff's great-- am I going to miss out on all the material because I'm against their ideology or way of thinking?

My view is that you should follow the good stuff. The convention is not a penguin convention, penguin is helping promote it. It's up to you whether you want to miss the great lineup because you're against penguin.

On a more positive note, the weekend is too expensive for me personally. However, Luke is brilliant and the people involved are masters of the craft. To have the oppurtunity and miss it would be devastating.

I'm not a penguin supporter or a magicmakers supporter or an anything supporter. I'm just tired of people saying things without backing. Bar, I hope you don't take this as a personal attack, but I'm just saying.
Bar10dr
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Bar10dr
But you are supporting Penguin and Magicmakers by purchasing items from them. They both are known to sell knockoffs of other peoples tricks. In my book that makes them a bunch of crooks. What they do is unethical but, unfortunately not illegal because most magic tricks do not have a patent to protect them. The only way to stop them is for the magic community stop purchasing from them.

As for them putting out the best material, are you serious? Magicmakers sends items to be duplicated in China. These people are not magicians and do not understand how magic works. Many times the items don't even work properly and they are still a cheap version of someone elses work.

The stuff Penguin puts out is crap too. Have you ever looked at some of the instant downloads that they sell? How can you call that magic? But, they are selling mostly to beginners who don't know any better. Not one of these young people that they call magicians can get work performing magic. None of the material they produce has been tested over time in front of a paying audience. They are solely produced to make money.

I hope you don't take offence but, you are part of the problem. I have both of Simon Lovell's books which were put out before he went to the dark side. I liked both of them. Although, I will never purchase anything from him again. There is plenty of other good material to choose from by ethical dealers and I will continue to support them.
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Quote:
On 2008-04-20 15:19, Bar10dr wrote:
But you are supporting Penguin and Magicmakers by purchasing items from them. They both are known to sell knockoffs of other peoples tricks. In my book that makes them a bunch of crooks. What they do is unethical but, unfortunately not illegal because most magic tricks do not have a patent to protect them. The only way to stop them is for the magic community stop purchasing from them.

As for them putting out the best material, are you serious? Magicmakers sends items to be duplicated in China. These people are not magicians and do not understand how magic works. Many times the items don't even work properly and they are still a cheap version of someone elses work.

The stuff Penguin puts out is crap too. Have you ever looked at some of the instant downloads that they sell? How can you call that magic? But, they are selling mostly to beginners who don't know any better. Not one of these young people that they call magicians can get work performing magic. None of the material they produce has been tested over time in front of a paying audience. They are solely produced to make money.

I hope you don't take offence but, you are part of the problem. I have both of Simon Lovell's books which were put out before he went to the dark side. I liked both of them. Although, I will never purchase anything from him again. There is plenty of other good material to choose from by ethical dealers and I will continue to support them.

Bar--

you make a valid point, but I think you misunderstood. I never said they put out the best stuff. You went off topic about how they sell to beginners and all that... I'm saying they have Simon Lovell. I'm supporting him as an artist. I'm purchasing his materials from the only place that sells them... magicmakers. I'm not going to stop purchasing his effects because of Magicmakers. Believe me, I'm not FOR what they're doing. I have my own opinions about magicmakers... what I do know is that the DVDS are usually affordable, well produced, and contain magic I'm interested in.

You said none of the material they put out is tested in front of a live audience and it's only to make money. Here's my only thought on that... Everyone has to eat. It may sound a little bitter, but that's the truth. Theyre not force feeding the stuff down your throat. They're merely offering a service that you may or may not choose to be involved in. Again... not a BIG penguin supporter, but the materials they do sell (not penguin produced) are the cheapest around and I've gotta eat too!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2008-04-03 13:53, Ramsay wrote:
The shell game being exposed has never resulted in people losing bookings! .

L.

My agent was at a gig with me last week so I took the opportunity to ask him this very question. He literally books Millions on dollars of gigs each year... Maybe much more!

He totally disagrees with your statement!
Evidence from the REAL WORLD!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
I'm glad Johnny exposed the Three Shell Game.

The next time I see someone on the street with a small table , 3 walnut shells and a pea I'll avoid him like the plague!
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Johnny Thompson Added To The Jermay workshop! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL