The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Borrowed interest/Low interest shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Anyone have tips for doing shows where you are not the main feature of the night or where it seems pretty clear that the host/sponsor of the event may be the only person who is excited about having a hypnotist at the event?

I've had 2 or 3 over the course of my career and I have another one coming up in just a couple of days (I think).

The last one was a house party. When I arrived the host turned to me and said, "Don't worry, I've made people PROMISE they will volunteer!" You can imagine the level of sincere commitment those people had.

This next one is a fund-raiser for a school. I'm sure most of the people feel obliged to come every year and don't really care what the entertainment is. It's very much like a corporate holiday party. Unlike a public show, these people may have very little interest in participating or 'experiencing something new'. Plus with all the R-rated hypno shows people have heard about, many people may have concerns about looking a little silly in front of co-workers or fellow parents they will have to see the next day. At the house party, when I said that I wouldn't make anyone look stupid, someone actually said sarcastically "Oh, sure you wouldn't!" UGH!

Here are the adjustments I made before before the last corporate show:

- I completely reworked my opening monologue (pre-talk) putting an emphasis on how I needed to find people who were "bold, brave, quick and creative" in the group and how THOSE people made the best volunteers.

- I also did extra group exercises, to give me a chance to reward and reinforce the success of those who get the best results.

- I plan on mingling prior to the show to build trust with people individually and break down some of the worries and concerns before I even hit the stage.

Here's what I would love to get help with:

- More, better reasons for people to volunteer and participate

- Tips on approaching a crowd that's wary of you; building rapport with a crowd that hasn't decided to see a hypnosis show

Thanks

Peter

PS It occurs to me that presenting 'reasons' for volunteering may be a too narrow a solution. Anyone have any NLP suggestions for bypassing the critical factor as a way of generating the correct mood to turn the whole room into active participants?
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
I have the same concern. I have been asked to tour with a band and open up their concerts for them. The contract is very lucrative and very exciting. My concern is that the concert goers aren't there to see me, and will be anxious for me to get off stage. The only thing that's keep me positive about it, is the number in attendance. If they have 2000-3000 people there the law of averages should work out in my favour no?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think probably the best idea would be to not do these shows. I used to get a few of them they never went down well and you end up working harder and looking bad in some cases.

You see there is a difference between seeing a show and participating. They are two different mindsets. And sounds like to me the majority in these gigs don't even want to see one.

I once did a charity show I was booked to go on around 8. Hardly anyone tunrned up until half 9. It was clear they were not interested in seeing a hypnotist show. I stayed back until nearly 10 to do a show. I had travelled for four hours so I wanted to make sure I got paid.

I managed to get volunteers through various means and a bit of work. But the show was a real struggle and I got paid and left. I didn't know before that the interest would be so low. If I were still doing shows fulltime I would avoid bookings where the guests weren't interested or were known to be bad audiences for hypnosis shows. Why make life difficult for yourself?

RSD a big part of stage hypnosis is the expectation built up long before the show happens. If the money is that good give it ago. Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

Why not find a venue book it and do your own promotion so that those that come, come to see you.

Failing that a show for a school fundrasier could be a good gig. To get rapport with the audience I would do some "pre-talk" about the cause and why its great for everyone to be involved in such a good cause. And that to night we are not only going to raise funds but also have a good time.

Heres a method I have used many times successfully.

Look at the empty chairs. If no one gets up say we won't start until these chairs are full. (in a fundrasier stuation I would also say we are all here for the great cause of raising money for ------lets have a good time.) I would then be silent.

What you will find is that the silence will draw a few people forward on to the chairs. Again if there spaces tell hem you won't start until the chairs are full follwed by a little more silence.

It takes a little nerve but I have in just about all cases filled the seats this way.
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
That's the problem, the money and the lifestlye is a hard thing to reject. The band members are a big fans of mine, and they say there would be no problem - but they don't understand hypnosis. I'm just worried about signing this contract and then crashing and burning, utltimately ruining my rep when things are going really good.

I do a lot of my own shows that I promote. I would estimate 70% of my income is from 4 walling. It can be a lot of work but much more lucrative. The temptation of this easy money tour gig is just very hard to resist.

Its funny you mention the "silence". I remember as a child I saw George Carlin perform. He came out on stage with a very angry look on him and didn't say a word. He just stood there. Stared at the audience. After doing this for about 4 mins, the whole audience was in stitches. Sometimes being silent is the loudest thing you can ever do.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
When I first started out I did really rough bars and not the best of venues. They wouldn't shut up.

So I developed a simple technique of doing my pre-talk to those nearest the performing area who were wanting to see the show. I would say I need your help in a number of ways. The first way is I need silence before I start. Then I just stood there and said nothing. The people near the front would turn to those behind them and tell them to hush. I would keep standing there and say nothing for five mins sometimes. The hush finally moved through the whole audience and you could hear a pin drop.

As for doing this tour follow your gut feeling. Is it worth the money to fall on your ass?
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
RSD,
If you take the gig, you may want the lead singer to introduce you as his good friend. That may get the crowd on your side.
HypnoScriptoHottie
View Profile
New user
USA
33 Posts

Profile of HypnoScriptoHottie
To both of you I would not just stress and urge but basically INSIST that the promoters promote YOU HEAVILY, not just the band or the fundraiser - so that people will at least know that a hypnotist will be there when they get there.

EXPECTATION and ANTICIPATION are VITALLY important to generate participation...

You may *only* be the "opening act" or the 'entertainment to placate the money drive' - but in order for YOU to be able to meet the promoter's expectations by being successful, THEY MUST SUPPORT YOU by promoting YOU almost as heavily as the rest of the event components.

Mass confusion = anxiety and suspicion = chaos = high potential for a bad show.

2 cents
hypn
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of hypn
Easy way to solve both situations

When doing a corporate where you are the surprise and yes you are going to get many of those, ask the organiser to supply you with ten names of people who would be most willing to go on stage (live of the party, first to be drunk etc). Do the pre-talk but avoid talking about how wonderful hypnosis is. It's a evenings entertainment and that is what they want. You need to warm them up like a comedian would warm up his audience. If people are slow at volunteering make mention of the list in your pocket, still slow, read aloud two or three random names from the list. It's amazing how this seems to not only get a few of the list on stage but also those who wanted to volunteer but were to shy to get up first. Last night I manage to pull of the very stunt with no list of names at all. When I noticed the volunteers were not coming forward I decided to make mention of the list. That got them moving.

Band exposure would be very good, but remember they are not there to see you. You also need to fit the bill - you can not walk on stage "Ormond Mcgill style" - no disrespect to a great man, when you are performing in a rock band - I would say daleK would fit the bill. What I am getting at is fit the bill. A corporate function needs a well dressed person, a rock band needs a cool dude. Create hype - have a pre hypnotised zone or place where volunteers who would like to go on stage could go. Maybe have a pre hypnotised person on stage and wake him up once you get on stage

Either way you can do it get out there and have fun

Andre
Andre The Hilarious Hypnotist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Borrowed interest/Low interest shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL