The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Headless Spectre (The Visionless Honda CR-V) i.e. Thanks Devin Knight! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Why is this not in SPOOKY? Because it is actually about mentalism: a review and an actual try-out of one of the methods from Devin Knight's excellent "THE BLINDFOLDED CAR" book that is soon to be released which I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy - as Devin knows I am an Al Mann junkie... and this is a fascinating read.

This manuscript deals with how to not only do a blindfold drive BUT blindfold the windshields as well so it appears it is impossible to be able to see anything (which of course you can)... and after reading it, I decided before I posted my thoughts I would actually do a "test drive" as I had a vehicle that was really perfect for the key Devin methods.

In fact, you get Al Mann's solutions to trying to solve how Devin did this effect in the first place... both of which are quite neat... but which I read in his manuscript "The Headless Horseman" which Devin included for completeness as well as other options.... the first involves painting your windshield black... the next is newspaper covered.... and Devin's are both newspaper covered.

Also, Devin says this book should be viewed as an educational manuscript and not to necessarily attempt anything in it AS YOU CAN DIE!!!! Well, it is possible... and repeatedly warns over and over again...

Devin, what was that about doing it on the open Highway???

Also, legalities, tips, etc. abound in this manuscript as well as suggestions on psychological subt. to sell the "sightlessness" before during and after the drive... as well as some reality resculpting (which most mentalists will love in terms of how to do this as a publicity stunt where the reporters will report wayyyy more amazingly what you did than what you actually did)...

I didn't bother considering using Mann's techniques as they seemed a bit too dangerous... Devin's are a lot safer.... method 3 is still risky if you ignore his warnings and 4 is the safest and requires one gaff you can buy for less than $10 at a hardware store.

Also, Devin includes a lot of how he got in trouble with the law and how he got out of it again... which makes fascinating reading.

Also, how to boost the publicity and impact by going to dealerships etc. is explained.

Also, I noticed on a threaed someone mentioned they were perhaps a tad disappointed that this was released as an exclusive years ago - but it appears that this book has additional material and that TV rights are not included - only the original buyers from years ago have that... so that is cool.

Also, well credited in blindfold lore.... and those who were looking for that Dexter material, well, it is quoted here. Alons with some other cool sources.

-------

OK, I did method #3 which basically I newspaper covered the front windshield and the driver's side. I had my blindfold and my black sac to wear. In this version, you can have a reporter or whoever sit with you - but this was just me having fun and a friend had a cell-phone and I had a speaker phone in the car so he could warn me if I was about to scew up.

I basically went to an empty parking lot and set this up... no road test for me... as really, this is not my style at all and I know I'll never do this as it isn't part of my performance character or education etc.... but heck, this was just to enjoy driving around apparently blindfolded... ok I lied... I might do this as I actually had a lot of fun doing it and it worked well! I drove 15 KM an hour max in a chalked out circle and lines (and other things the manuscript discusses) no problemo... hey Berglas!

In any case, I was thinking if I ever did do something, I'd make a cardbaord cutout people obstacle course and always be able to stop before hitting them..... except one which can represent some public figure of annoyance for comedy sake... oooops! (Think the Magnum Force Obstacle Course)... and link it to the legends of the blind developing extra powers ala Daredevil...

Oh, what car did I use? Nothing superfancy; as a dad, I have a Honda C-RV... it is perfect for method #3.

I plan to do method #4 in the near future... but although Devin states it is likely magician's guilt, and although 3 forces you to drive slow and #4 Devin states he got up to 70 KM/hour (or was that 70 miles)... I am happy to go slow and avoid any suspicion of the one gaff which likely 99% of the time will be ignored... if you are using your own car. If you use a dealership car for a publicity stunt, I doubt you'd want to use method #4... but method #4 creates a lot more safety, speed, visibility and so on.... but with me... going slow and "sensing" is fine by me - less is more in mentalism they say. (Who is they???)

In any case, you got 4 options - which are excellent.

Well, there are a lot of presentation angles when you think of it besides just publicity stunts.

Well, thank you Devin, you made me do my first blind drive!

So, it makes great reading and it actually is practical, especially if a uncoordinated near-sighted non-stunt driver like me can do it!

JUST DON'T DO IT ON THE OPEN HIGHWAYS (This is a refrain from the book)!

The Headless Spektor, the Night Rider he who Rides by Night (actually, I did the drive in the afternoon)...BEEP BEEP.....SCRREEEEEEEEEECHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH <<<<CRRRAASSSHHHHHHHHH>>>>>>> ooops. Keep your blindfolded eyes on the road!

P.S. You also get the BONUS EFFECT: Stopping A Car With Your Mind. You need to gimmick the car but is a really great thing if you really want to get publicity... a lead in to the blind car drive.... I haven't tried it but it sounds fun... hopefully someone else will!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Thanks for your great review. BTW the book isn't about to be released. It is already been shipping to people who bought it.

Devin
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ooops didn't know it!

(Heck, no posts gang? sheesh.... here I am product testing a book in a Honda CRV playing blind man's bluff crossed with DEATHRACE)....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Dr Spektor, thanks for a fantastic review, I can't wait for this to hit the UK!.

Dave
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Excellent review Daktari....

What would Kolchak think.. the motorcycle turned to a CRV... Smile
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
So where does one get this book?
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
You can get it direct from me now or most dealers in about 8 days.
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
Pricing would be? And ordering would be? You must be good you answered a question with a question in the form of a statement that's wrapped inside of an enigma.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Book is $29.95 plus shipping. I am an enigma. (at least according to my Girlfriend)
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
I don't drive, but this sounds fantastic.

I'm planning a blindfold event for this summer. If someone will host it (I don't want it on youtube), I'll show a video.

It will look like a lot of fun, and may possibly be bloody.

Back to topic, if I were to ever do a blindfold drive, this is definitely what I would do. Covering up the windshield sounds wonderful! I might go ahead and pick this up as I'm sure I could learn some great subtleties for what I plan to do.

/paul.f
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Got my copy yesterday. For anyone who is thinking about this kind of publicity stunt, it's a clean and clear instruction on how to do it. Blindfolding yourself is great...but wrapping the windshield adds a layer of impossibility to the whole thing...and I can just see someone sort of sneaking up and duct-taping a huge sheet of cardboard over the windshield right after the psychic is blindfolded himself...an announcer adding a smirky "and we've got a little unexpected surprise for the Swami...lets see how he likes it" Admittedly a Fairgrounds attraction for the auto demo derby...but one that could add a good buck to the coffers to anyone who did it.

There is one brilliant gaffless gimmick...or gimmickless gaff that he reveals in the book that allows a real time gps-ing sorta thang that will have you out trying it as soon as you can arrange it. Brilliant thinking.

Anyway...Devin is tipping The Real Work on this one, and it should be in your library if you are thinking about doing this, or think you might somewhen in the future. A definite keeper. Good work, Sir, and thank you for adding this to our arsenal.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
illuzzionz
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of illuzzionz
Sounds great. I was considering this book and after reading this, will definetly be adding it to my library.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Has anyone performed this new version in the last month?
I'd love to hear the stories!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Headless Spectre (The Visionless Honda CR-V) i.e. Thanks Devin Knight! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL