The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Problems with Lapping (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CMNeff
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of CMNeff
I have tried to lap effectively for years. and nearly always a couple of things happen: (1) the top of my thighs are never parallel to the ground making me fearful that the lapped item will roll off or (2) the coin lands somewhere in the folds of my trousers or in the crouch and it looks like I'm adjusting my junk (to coin a teenager's phrase) if I have to retrieve it. If I try to elevate my thighs by raising my heels to tiptoe position and squeeze my legs together I just have this funny feeling I Iook like I've got to use the bathroom, a kind of 'pursed' rather upright expression.

Any hints? I don't want to only perform on tables with tablecloths or carry a hankerchief to place on my lap. I don't want to aim for the top of the thigh. Surely there are tricks of the trade? Splay out one's legs? Cross at the ankles?

Thanks!
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
CMNeff, you have just answered your own question...just keep working at it and get rid of your guilt!

Mike
Gary Yin
View Profile
Elite user
Sabah, Malaysia
449 Posts

Profile of Gary Yin
I find putting the legs together painful. Smile
yrag89@hotmail.com (msn msgr)

Gary Justin Yin.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
See a doctor Gary!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
When I don't use a tablecloth, I just cross my legs. The coins naturally falls at the same place all the time. Just putting the legs together as Gary suggests doesn't really work 100%, the coin sometimes happens to find its way between them Smile. And to avoid this you have to really put a muscular effort to keep your legs tight, which causes two things: first you forget about the magic and think of your legs Smile , and second you end up with painful cramps isn't it so Gary Smile ?

Hope that helps

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
This can be a real problem. People are different and giving advice may not help. My legs for instance, are constructed so that no matter how much I squeeze them together, there is a huge long gap in between them. And if I cross them, one is much higher than the other and round on top so I create a perfect sideways slope for a coin to roll down.

For me I think the only solution is a sweater/tablecloth/napkin.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Gary Yin
View Profile
Elite user
Sabah, Malaysia
449 Posts

Profile of Gary Yin
Yes, try to have a silk or napkin with you and you can do the copper silver routines with a napkin. If not using that then can be used to lap.

For younger guys, we uses baggy pants which works the opposite, open the legs will lap better. It is just natural for men. Smile

Phedon, I don't know why but I cross legs makes me cramp too lol
yrag89@hotmail.com (msn msgr)

Gary Justin Yin.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
"The table and chair must be suitable and the performer must be comfortably seated at the table in an erect position, and the body must be approximately 8" to 10" away from the edge of the table. In sitting down, a fold of cloth of one trouser leg is pulled to overlap the other leg to form a little pocket, or gutter, in which objects may be caught by the material. This must be done unobserved. Crossing the feet at the ankles so that the knees are in contact without any undue strain or effort may help considerably Another practical method is the secret introduction of a handkerchief or napkin in the lap. If a tablecloth is available, part of the tablecloth thrown over the lap will do admirably as a servante. Thus prepared, the performer must be completely relaxed and assume a carefree and confident manner. A great help to performers of short stature is to have only the tips of the shoes rest on the floor"
-Tony Slydini in "The Art of Using the Lap as a Servante"
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hay cmneff,
I would be happy to work with you on it when we get togeter To write up those routines for the UWC. In fact One of Slydini's Best Student's Lives In Denver! And He showed me all I know about Lapping! He does not perform any more,
but the May 8 mile high Magicions Meeting will be to honor him. I will do someing lapping stuff. We will Watch some Slydini tapes.And Tony ( yea he has the same frist name ! Smile) Will tell some Slydini storys! Should be good! And if you have Any of the Slydini books you should look trou there!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I agree with David Neighbors, and DStachowiak, Study the Slydini books everything you wanted to know about lapping is there.

Randy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ya know, that premise of a magician who flinches when lapping might play well for a magician audience - especially when using a servante or similar Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Lapping is a problem for me too. Short legs. Smile
I have to put my feet on tiptoes to get a level height.
Very uncomfprtable. Best bet is like others have said about a bandana or handkerchief. Baggy pants help too.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Jon,
I can see it now:
"Ladies and Gentlemen, fresh from the hernia ward at St. Vickie Hospital..."

Doing a version of Paul Gertner's Cups and Balls, no doubt.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
I think this is actually one benefit of my terrible posture, A large slouch gives a nice large lap area. Slouching also has the benefit of being comfortable and making one seem rather bohemian.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Problems with Lapping (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL