The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Question about book "How to Spot Card Sharps" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
I need a help.

Just now I read book "How To Spot Card Sharps And Their Methods". One place I can not understand. On page 46 written -
Quote:
We do not say "simple" expedient, because there is nothing simple about the Center Deal, as is evident when we study its mechanics step by step:

And after that ":" there is big empty space. Looks like author want wrote something but forget to do it. On all previous places after "step by step" goes explanations of Second Deal or Bottom Deal...

Who knows? May be it was missed text? What reason?

Or it is just my bad knowledge of English and text what come on next page normal to be after ":"? Here text from next page:
Quote:
Actually, there is no use for the Center Deal except in lectures exposing crooked gambling. One authority facetiously claims to have mastered this deal only by practicing it eight hours a day for twenty years. It would hardly have been worth it, even on the basis of a five-day week.

Of course I can suppose that last text goes after first, but I can not understand why here ":" and this is first place where something not explained...
Stepanov Oleg Anatolievich
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I looked in my copy and it does appear that he was planning to include a breakdown of the procedure necessary to deal centers (albeit without much detail I would assume) then decided, for whatever reason, no to include it.

His thoughts on the center deal, expressed in that section, is what shaped my views on centers in general.

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
OK. Thanks. Now we have only one question - who knows what happened? Looks like it is same problem like with John Scarney's Center Deal what he show on his book, but what was shown to him by Vernon.
Stepanov Oleg Anatolievich
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I just think he realized he didn't need to include that, and then forgot to amend the text.

His justifications for his views on the move are more then capable of standing on their own.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
To me it reads as an attempt at humor. Leaving the explanation of the sleight blank, and on the next page justify it with a "why bother, noone will practice for 20 years anyway".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Question about book "How to Spot Card Sharps" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL