The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Preparing the rope for Professors Nightmare on the fly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
When I do the impromptu cutting of the lengths, I do a cut and restored pickup, as I make three equal sections of rope loop. Looks like I just accordian pleated the ropes. I make the cut at the top (c&r area), and the lower loop.
That gives me three equal which I instantly do a flash restore to get me three unequal.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2008-05-20 23:22, magicians wrote:
When I do the impromptu cutting of the lengths, I do a cut and restored pickup, as I make three equal sections of rope loop. Looks like I just accordian pleated the ropes. I make the cut at the top (c&r area), and the lower loop.
That gives me three equal which I instantly do a flash restore to get me three unequal.

Yes, I noticed something like that in one of the video clips you made available - It was a good idea.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Magic CPA
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Magic CPA
Check out Mark Wilson's handling in the second Magic Circus DVD. He invites a spectator on stage to examine the single rope and then has him cut it (shows him where)resulting in the three different ropes required for the Professor's Nightmare. Mark then performs the trick with the spectator watching up close and he's pretty amazed.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
This is classic for an on the fly PN.
Whit Haydn.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseac......=7974587
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On 2008-05-20 21:07, millarhouse wrote:
Thanks again for all your input.
Whit's "Pop Knot" routine is a great routine, but following his cuts the audience believe there are 3 equal lengths.
For my routine I want to start with 3 unequal ropes, then proceed into the Professors Nightmare.
From your input I have a solution I am practicing.

Many Thanks

millarhouse I did the next thing to cut the rope into the required 3 pieces.

1) fold the rope in a zigzag - see video of Slydini http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srG2XoHqobk look at 1.15

2) cut the top loop. (you know have the middle rope and a long rope)

3) cut from the long rope the small piece

I don't have to give you the measurements this will always be correct. if you don't understand PM me
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It is in my book "Give a Magician Enough Rope" (and in my newest lecture notes).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
You can also start with what appears to be a single piece of rope with two knots at the third marks. One is a fake knot made of the short piece. When you untie the knots you apparently have three equal pieces.

There is a routine where you "wind up" with the three-section rope as a result of other effects, but pretty complicated. I have found that multiple C/R impresses magicians but can bore a lay audience.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
Ted lesley caberet magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Preparing the rope for Professors Nightmare on the fly (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL