The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Trying to do too much with one box? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm trying to think through my "perfect world" opener. (Well, as perfect as I can get and still be me, which isn't too perfect!!) In my imagination, it goes something like this:

Wlak out with a box about 12 inches square and 4 inches high. "I'm going to show you a most magical wonder that you have never seen before!"
-- Open all four flaps on box - take out basketball. "No!! That's the next trick!"
-- Reach in - remove second basketball. "See? Told you!"
-- Reach in - pull out 5-foot wand. "Wondered where that stupid rabbit put that."
-- Reach in - pull out hand with large "Rabbid" on finger!
-- Can't find what I want; turn box upside down and drop out a bowling ball.
-- Finally reach in and remove the "magical wonder that you have never seen before!" - the Invisible Deck!
-- After going through the routine with an audience member, they toss it back, and I catch it in the box. The box is lowered so the audience can see it empty, I make "the catch", and then remove the jumbo size ID (or just dump it out onto a table).

I plan for the first basketball to be a Double Dribble, so the side flaps would have a catch to hold them closed. I'll use an InstaBall for the second one - I would do it for both but I'm not sure I can cover the noise for the first one (not all venues will have music or an audience far enough away).

I'd like to have the flaps stay standing up straight all the way around - that gives me 10 inches of height - until I fold them all down for the initial ID "production" and also for the "catch". And I'll probably need a roll-up screen on the bottom to cover things when I do the catch.

Is this too much to build into one box? Is there a better way to handle this?

Ed
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
I like it...very funny. I can just hear the audience roar.
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
As the inventor of the Seven Sided Cube Herbal Tea Chest, I say you can NEVER do enough with one box. Your plan sounds like a good one!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thanks for the feedback!

How do I get a self-retracting roll-up screen to cover the bottom? Is there an easy way to modify an existing item to the width and fabric I need? Or an easy way to create my own?

Ed
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Sounds like a great rountine.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Visit the window roller shade department of a hardware or fabric store. That's one way, but the spring can be a problem.

An easier solution is to cover the bottom of the box with black felt, and cover one side of the jumbo card box with black felt. With the black felt side up, the jumbo deck can't be seen. When you turn the box upside down, the jumbo card box falls out, black felt side down onto the table. Just don't give it away when you remove the cards from the card box!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
You should do a little research on Robert Harbin...this type of routine was his cup of tea!

-Bryan
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I love the idea! If you get it perfected, can I steal it?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I like the "next trick" gag.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
That's a great idea! A couple of weeks ago I posted asking about what modern magicians could produce out of a box other than rabbits and doves and silks in the style of Robert-Houdin's portfolio. This is a perfect solution. I don't know why I didn't think of producing things actually used in the show - it seems so obvious now Smile I also like the angle of the "next trick." George Burns did a concert later in his life that was all about finding the perfect opener. He would do a bit and then say, "Well, that was a good song, but not really a good opening song. Maybe this next one would work better." The gag lasted through the whole hour. When he finally found the perfect opener, the show was over so so it actually ended up being his closer. The next trick idea reminds me of that.

Good thinking!
Richard
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Okay, then - I think I'll keep this one!! Smile

One other question - I was thinking about trying to put the actual contructed box inside a cardboard box, with the thought that a cardboard box would look much less capable of magic. This is for a whole-family show, not specifically for a kid's show, where props tend to be manufactured and brightly colored.

The inside of the box _would_ be much easier to deal with in flat black, but cardboard isn't usually that color. Am I thinking too much into it? Would a painted wooden box about 4 inches deep be just as "innocent" as a cardboard box?

Ed
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The inside doesn't need to be black. Make one out of cardboard and try it for awhile. You can always "upgrade" to a wooden or hardboard version later on.
Professor Spellbinder

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm concerned about the cardboard not having enough strength to maintain shape against the pressure of the Double Dribble. I'm using that because (a) I've got one, and (b) it doesn't make noise. I can (I think!) cover the noise of the Insta-Ball as a secnd production, but not the first one.

Ed
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Try hardboard, but cover it with cardboard just for the cardboard appearance.
Professor Spellbinder

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Trying to do too much with one box? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL