The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » More issues with paint (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have been using the Krylon for Plastics for everything recently. It has a beautiful satin finish, and seems to be very tough.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Krylon's response to my incompatibility and ruined projects question:

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry. In 2008, Krylon Interior-Exterior spray paint is being restocked on the shelves of hardware, home center, and mass retail stores with Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint, signaled by a new cap and label. Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint features our all-new EZ Touch 360B0B Dial Spray Tip for greater hand comfort and reduced overspray, as well as an enhanced paint formulation that offers better finish durability, adhesion and smoothness. The new tip features a dial that rotates a full 360B0 with a twist of the fingers, so spray painters can adjust the direction of the fan-spray pattern to vertical, horizontal, or any angle in between for better coverage.

Krylon has a long history of innovation in spray paint. We were motivated to make this change to improve the spray paint experience, from shop-ability through application, for our home improvement industry customers who make up the bulk of our spray paint purchasers. Their interests are home and yard spruce-ups, home dC)cor projects and crafting. In pre-launch testing, these users responded with great enthusiasm to this innovation.

Artists seeking Krylon spray paint for sanctioned art may continue to purchase Krylon Interior-Exterior Spray Paint through industrial distributors such as kpg-industrial.com.

Thank you,
Jared
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Follow up from Krylon:

Quote:

Actually, the new formula is a VT Alkyd and can be applied over a lacquer based product whereas a lacquer cannot be applied over a VT Alkyd. I have not heard of or seen for myself during testing - the new product wrinkling the old product.

The formula change came as a result of Federal VOC restrictions for our products. Since we could not adjust the lacquer formula and maintain the quality level, we reformulated the product to meet the new VOC requirements.

Thank you,
Jared
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Sounds like a lot of something we are all familiar with... misdirection. They managed to play up the new spray tip a lot. That one feature does not fix a screwed up project. I was doing fine with the old tips, and the old paint.

Their comment on VT Alkyd v. Lacquer has me a bit confused. This new stuff even wrinkles being applied over itself. I wonder how they explain that away other than for us to wait 3 freakin' weeks between coats?

So what will we have to do to be qualified as "sanctioned" artists so we can buy the good stuff? And in what quantities will we have to buy it? It better be available wholesale considering this hassle. Maybe we should start a magicians' paint co-op.

The stupidity in this reminds me of recently being told by dental supply houses that I could no longer buy alginate from them unless I was a dentist.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I used to use Martin Senior Lacquer paint that I got at Napa stores for years. It was expensive but worked well. I later switched to Krylon because it was cheaper. Looks like I have to go back to Martin Senior.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I also used Martin Senour paints at one time, but I hadn't seen them in years. I never thought to check the local NAPA parts store.

If I interpret Jared's comments correctly, it seems like the change was mandated by environmental guidelines. If this is the case, are we about to see similar action by the other paint manufacturers?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Auto parts store... (me slapping forehead again).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Ok .. I recently got a check from Sherwin Williams for the paint I used on my project. It has a money-back guarantee so, I sent in my receipt to at least get something back on this mess. Of course $35.03 won't do much at all for the countless hours I've had to strip and repaint my illusion.

Stamped on the back of the check was something I'm a bit concerned with "Settlement in full of any claims against the Sherwin-Williams Company." Of course it's still sitting on my desk, I've got 90 days until it is void.

Here is my question: Do I have a potential lawsuit over the situation?? I've lost 40 plus hours in labor and hundreds in paint and supplies trying to correct this project alone.

I'm all ears ...

Steve
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Steve,
Do you know any good lawyers? I would be inclined to check it out but then there would be so much documentation required it might not be worth it. Maybe a small court claims?
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Now that I remember I went to small claims court years ago. Back then it cost about $75.00 to file a claim. I've already wasted a lot of time and money on this mess. I really don't like dealing with lawyers .. but I do feel something should be done.

How can a well established brand of paint just change their formula without letting the consumer know. It is NOT compatible with the old stock .. plain and simple.

Steve
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
You could always post a YouTube video complaining about how bad of a company they are. It's worked for some people- some guy posted a video titled "(Company X) sucks!", someone from the company spotted the video, contacted the guy who posted it, and took immediate steps to insure he became a happy camper. The customer then posted a "(Company X) rocks!" video to reverse the negative publicity.

Dunno if it'll work, but it's certainly cheaper than Small Claims court. (Unless Sherwin Williams tries to sue you for libel, that is...)

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The heart of the issue (beyond the "unannounced" formula change) is the fact that the stores are inter-mixing the stock of old and new. Products often change the labels on their packages, but rarely does the product inside change without some indication. Heck, even if it had just said "New & Improved", I would have been tipped off to check it further.

The new Krylon label was NO indication that anything inside was different, BECAUSE the color names were the same, and the new product was displayed in the same bins with the old stock, NOT as a separated item, as is typically done with their Fusion paints, their also worthless H2O paints, and a few less prominent random types.

This was pure and simple deception, regardless of whether it was intentional or not. Someone's hand needs to be smacked with the ruler.

Ruined props are expensive when the profit margin for handcrafted magic is as small as it actually is. I've gone to the extent of stripping off all paint from props in the past, and I'll be the first to say that it is easier to rebuild the item from scratch. It's not necessarily cheaper to do so, but it is easier. Stripping paint is about the messiest thing you can do. But in essence, rebuilding instantly doubles the cost of both materials and labor.

Right now, I'm delaying certain projects until I know I have the correct paint to finish what I start. I am finding potential alternates, but they are costlier.

My sister is an attorney, although this is not her area of legal practice. I'll run it by her anyway, as she may have friends in the business who may know and offer suggestions.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
If you call the toll free numbers on the backs of the cans, there are a number of friendly knowledgeable people who are very helpful EXCEPT they divert the issue of how the formulas have been changing. They are very good at changing the subject - The EPA is to blame and it's only going to get worse.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » More issues with paint (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL