The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mix N Mingle (Shaun McCree): Opinions and/or Review Wanted (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I stummbled on this thread and I have to say when I read the comments about "Party Animal", I got completely turned off. I think Matthew Dowden is one the most creative, charismatic and engaging performers I've seen in years.

I was going to go into a high gear rant and am glad I kept reading as I saw that Matthew had contacted the poster.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Quote:
On 2008-06-01 17:46, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I stummbled on this thread and I have to say when I read the comments about "Party Animal", I got completely turned off. I think Matthew Dowden is one the most creative, charismatic and engaging performers I've seen in years.

I was going to go into a high gear rant and am glad I kept reading as I saw that Matthew had contacted the poster.

Like I said, I only took a different stand point on one element of the DVD. Goodness, Mr. Dowden certainly is everything that you have said. It's just a matter of opinion. I am glad that he contacted me, as it made me review my initial comment.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Good man Chappo! Sometimes in these things you end up making a great friend. I'm sure you and Matthew are great mates by now.

I had a fellow call me an idiot onece in the Café. We exchanged PM's and became good friends.

Unfortunately, he got to know me better and relaized I was in fact a real idiot and he stopped talking to me.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Hi,
I got Mix 'n' mingle a while back (Blackpool), watched it, and loved 'Imagination' and 'Coldcut Transpo' (I also wasn't 100% accurate with catching my hotshot cut!). Since then I've revisited it, and there's just so much strong stuff on here.. I'm now using a 'Myopia' variant, and working on the coins across hole effect.
Compared to many of the Café members I'm undoubtedly not the most experienced, but I do think that this material is really practical for the real world, and as I've said in other threads: Buy it, you won't be sorry!
PS - No I'm not Russ Stevens & Shaun Mcree's love child (although I am available to review demos of future releases!!)
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Puggo,

Many thanks for your comments and I'm really glad that you enjoyed the DVDs. I think that Shaun has been slightly overlooked by some people, as nearly everyone that has bought this has nothing but good things to say about the project.

When we started to produce our DVDs, my one aim was to shoot magicians performing in real conditions, so that you the buyer can see just how strong the material plays. It gets boring watching someone doing material in a studio where the audience are more controlled. Call me cynical, but the only reason why people do that is because sometimes the material or even the performers themselves wouldn't stand up to "live" situations. Personally I think that's why some of the projects like Party Animal, Corporate Close-Up and Mix N' Mingle work so well. Our most recent project that is about to be released on the 14th July is "Menu of Miracles" with James Prince and this follows the same lines, in that we shot him on just one night performing at a restaurant doing his working material. Explanations were even shot afterwards upstairs, which made for a long evening, but at the end of the day I think that the viewer will get a real idea of just how well the effects play.

Best,
Russ
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
"Imagination" is a great effect!
Trin
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Trin
Hi very interested in buying this set of DVDS. Could you tell me if all the sleights are shown and explained on this set?

Many thanks.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2010-09-28 19:16, Trin wrote:
Hi very interested in buying this set of DVDS. Could you tell me if all the sleights are shown and explained on this set?

Many thanks.

From what I remember, most if not all the sleights are explained clearly - but not in Ammar 'super practice' levels of details.
More importantly, the routines and sleights are not knuckle busting, but aimed at the practical worker.
This is a DVD set that has really stood the test of time, with clear instruction and a variety of material (nearly all from a shuffled deck as well).

Charlie
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Highly recommended.

John
Trin
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Trin
Thanks Guys I bought the set from RSVP a few days ago and yes what a great set of DVDs!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mix N Mingle (Shaun McCree): Opinions and/or Review Wanted (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL