The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Another Paint Problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Hi guys,

I am putting a finish on my Three Space Mystery and had some Behr water based primer left from a previous project and it applied very well over the wood. So I could attach the casters, I painted the underside of the illusion with a spray can of Rustoleum Painter's Touch flat black and it also went on very well. Now I've started painting the lower box with a brush on Painter's Touch and the paint will not cover well. It is almost as if I am painting with water colors on a piece of glass. When the paint dries, it seems to adhere well, but when wet it is a pain in the butt. Also I'm not getting a very even coat.

Am I stuck with stripping what I've applied and starting over, or is there a fix for this?

Thanks,
Richard
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hey, Richard:

Sounds like a compatibility problem between brands/types of paint (Rustoleum vs Behr, solvent vs non-solvent). Before trashing the existing paint, why not give it a quick de-glossing, with either Liquid Sandpaper or fine abrasive (cloth, steel wool, ScotchBrite pad). Clean with denatured alcohol or the thinner used in the intended topcoat.

On the upside, it sounds like you've got the makings of a nifty "crackle" type finish as it is; would this look work?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
You are attempting to put a water based paint over an enamel. Either Leland is correct an the de-glosser will work but I"m pretty sure you'll need to sand through the shine, you may not need to strip.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Another Paint Problem (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL